Very dumb idea, Two riser kits on band saw?

Page 1 of 2

Hello all,
I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar maker who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not take a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits on it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be used now and then.
Just how dumb an idea would this be?
I know *someone* has to have tried this...
David.

maker
take
Are you sure your name isn't "Tim"?
Why not? If everything fit and it all stayed in alignment, should be OK. But for a "couple guitars per year" why doesn't he just find a local shop who could do the resaw for him,?
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

on
used
Nah, Tim would've jacked up one side of his car and stretched a BS blade between the wheels. ARRH ARRH ARRH!
B.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:50:07 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz"

Hmmm.... Now that plan has some merit. Plenty of power for just about any sawing task and tracking is easily adjusted via the steering wheel. Add in the 5 speed feature (plus reverse if you get a blade jammed) and I think we can get behind this. I wonder if you would get better results with very high tire pressure or with lowered pressure? And tensioning the blade might be a bit problematic - maybe slip the blade on with the tires flat then add tension via air pressure? I would want to work with at least a 1 1/2" - 2" blade I think.
Definitely an idea worth wasting some time on.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

I too think there is merit to the concept. I suspect that Red Green could devote a significant portion of a show to this concept.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

One could use the drive-shaft to power an auto-feed table. And of you put different diameter whhels on the other side of the car, front and back, you could resaw to a set thickness. (Tracking would force you into toe-in adjustments.)
Let's not forget the bumper sticker:
My Other Saw Is A Laguna

maybe I'll try it some night with my neighbors 4x4 toy.. the winch on the front bumper could be used as a tension er, and the truck might actually get put in 4wd once..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Doesn't that just frost you? My neighbour leaver her Lexus SUV in the drive and takes her Corolla to work when it snows....WTF???
I bought a new LandCruiser back in '76. My idea of a great weekend, was to do a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage to the thing. I have seriously reduced my alcohol intake since then.

A couple of the neighbors have $30k to $40K 4x4 pickups with lift kits, big tires, light bars, winch, etc., etc..... and the only time they go off road is when they run over their lawn pulling the big suckers into their driveways..
I've got a 2wd Ram 1/2 ton that could almost drive under them that's seen more mud and dirt than they could carry..
they must be compensating for something...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote: ...

The local equivalent in the neighborhood when we were in TN (and, somewhat surprisingly :) in a subdivision on a pretty steep hillside) took the brand new one out early one morning after a spot of snow and a little freezing rain before that. When I left about a half-hour later after the sun shown for just a few minutes in my '72 Chev 2WD, there the beastie was upside down in the creek at the bottom of the hill where the subdivision entrance road made the right angle turn into the entrance road alongside the crick... :)

big
Folks figure because we average 300" of snow per year we have 4WD vehicles. We don't, but lots of people do, which is how I meet 'em. I'm on the ambulance. For instance Saturday, keeping their spine aligned and their airway open as the FD uses the jaws to gain extrication room from his high CG, short wheelbase rolling accident.
Trouble is, they may accelerate faster in poor road conditions, they just don't _stop_ any faster, and roll a h*ll of a lot easier.
George wrote:

'Xactly...plus, in metro areas at least, it appears a high percentage of owners/drivers don't have a clue of what they're driving...sorta' like the many UPS guys I see in the ditches every time there's a little snow/ice--appears to be something about driving Brown that turns 'em into idyuts... :(
4WD here is quite nice when the gravel road to town gets really plowed up but otherwise for road travel is nearly of no great help as you note...

Havn't you seen their ad campaign -- "We want to race the truck!"
explains a lot. <grin>

We call spring time the same as the Russians - bezdorozhe - no road time. Frozen under, mud over, go nowhere.
Keep the rig in two wheel until it gets stuck, then use four to get it out, is my philosophy. Of course, I've backed through the woods on snowmobile trails for over a mile on occasion rather than risk finding a turnaround somewhere beyond.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Actually in a lot of the Uk 4x4s with their long travel suspenders and softer ride than eurobox cars are a much better bet with our rutted, potholed, sleeping policeman covered streets and roads. Even our motorways, sort of interstates I suppose, should be in a states (that bad) are rutted!
Niel.

IMO, what most folks get into trouble with is thinking that since it's a 4x4, you drive it in 4wd... 4 wheelers with experience will tell you to drive in 2wd and use 4wd if you get stuck... if you're already in 4x4 low and you get stuck, it's time to get out the shovels..lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

That's if you have part time 4wd with no center differential.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

vehicles.
their
high
just
My favorite thought is that all those newbie 4x4 drivers seem to think it makes them "bulletproof", and they usually find out they're not with the first snowfall.
Makes me remember . . trying to get boat & trailer up mud/gravel drive @ SIL's house, his renter had jacked up F150 w/big mudders, he's rompin' & stompin', can't get it up the drive. Older friend w/Chev. 1/2T 2WD, stovebolt 6 & 3 speed hooked on & walked it right up through to where we wanted it.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:37:19 -0800, mac davis

That's why I have a winch.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:34:17 -0800, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi

You REALLY shouldn't call her that, WeeGee. <duckin, big time>
--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------