Vertical Panel Saw

There?s been a measure of messages about vertical panels saws and their productivity. I can only discuss why I got one and its usefulness.

I usually make cabinets or shelves from painted MDO and face them with hardwood. At first I was cutting up four by eight plywood sheets on my Unisaw on a rolling base. That was always a challenge, but a I got older it became a struggle ? if not damn near impossible, and I needed a helper to support the end of the stock.

I got the Safety Speed Cut Saw (Milwaukee), with accessories ? wheels, support extensions, quick stop gauge, fixed stand, and a dust kit that I connected to my dust collection system. In all, at that time, it cost me about $1400.

With this set-up I can cut stock to size in a fraction of the time it took me on the table saw, and, with a helper, it?s amazing. I can cut parts for cabinets in two hours that took me a day and a half when I had to wrestle those heavy sheets onto the saw table. Very quickly, the tool paid for itself.

Joel Jacobsob

Reply to
Joeljcarver

Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 4:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Joeljcarver) says: There=E2=80=99s been a measure of messages about vertical panels saws and their productivity. I can only discuss why I got one and its usefulness. I usually make cabinets or shelves Very quickly, the tool paid for itself.

To me, it only makes sense for someone doing that for a living, to have one. If I had a cabinet shop, you betcha I'd have some version of a panel saw. For someone who is selling his output as a sideline, "maybe" it would be worth it.

For most hobby woodworkers, probably not - unless they're ghe type who buy Hummers, and never drive off-road, and have loads of cash to burn. Those types gotta have it, even if they don't know what it does.

Me, I'd like to have one, bud don't have room. If I did have room, I wouldn't have the money. And, I sure don't "need" one. Altho, if I had room, I wouldn't mind making my own verson. But, really a moot point, because it's so hard on me anymore, to handle full sheets.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

had room, I wouldn't mind making my own verson. But, really a moot point, because it's so hard on me anymore, to handle full sheets.

As some of you know, I use a wheelchair. So, I too have a problem handling full sheets of plywood, but I do have one question about panel saws, at least about the better quality ones.

How accurate are they? With a tablesaw, a locked down fence and a motor that is fixed in place, I am able to cut up to and better than 1/64" tolerances. The idea of a mobile saw blade on a track suggests to me that those types of tolerances might be harder to obtain. Admittedly, I've only seen the home depot type and the staff are just interested in a "near close" cut and that's all they're concerned with. Accurate isn't really a consideration.

I guess that's my only concern and hesitancy about getting a panel saw. That and I've never seen anybody selling them.

Reply to
Upscale

I think it was wood that had an article on how to make one last year, using a skill saw, I don't have room for one at the time so I didn't look to closely, wish I had, and I don't have the issue has anyone seen a good plan for one?

Richard

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Reply to
Richard Clements

they range from slightly more accurate than a skilsaw in your hand to capable of consistently holding a couple of thousandths. how much do you want to spend?

Reply to
bridger

I have never looked at a panel saw up close to see how it works or what it can do so maybe someone can answer this question for me. Does the panel saw only crosscut the plywood vertically or can it also rip the plywood horizontally?

Thanks in advance, Jim

tolerances.

Reply to
Jim

Well, let's say that my next tablesaw purchase might be a General cabinet saw with Biesemeyer fence approaching $3000 (Canadian funds). Figure a little above $2000 US. Are panel saws available for that kind of money that are capable of my 1/64" benchmark? Can you recommend any brands?

Thanks

Reply to
Upscale

Jim asks:

Both.

Charlie Self "Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 10:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) asks: Figure a little above $2000 US. Are panel saws available for that kind of money that are capable of my 1/64" benchmark?

I've seen 'em on the web for about $1000-1500 range. Not eyeballed one in person, but they look similar to the ones I have seen, that slice up & down, or sideways.

the ones I've seen, I'd say, yes, they could to 1/64". However. Remember the word "however", it's "alwyas" gonna be there. It depends on the operator. Most of 'em I've seen are idiots. I often get a full sheet slized sidways at 11 7/8", which meant I get (theoretically) 7 pieces that size, with an 8th one just a shade wider. Yeah, I wish. Got one batch with something like a 9 7/8", 10 7/8", and 12 7/8", plus a couple of odd sizes. Stop block? Oh, those are any use. Instead, they usually measure each cut individuallly, or sometimes want to measure all the custs "before" they do any cutting. But, I do have some leeway in the width (planned), so normally can work with what I get. I do try to keep a very close eye on t hem, but once in awhile get distracted. But, all in all, I'd say, yeah, the machine is probably capable quite close accuracy. Sure makes it one whole Hell of a lot easier, handling smaller pices like that. I can even carry them inside the cab of the truck, if its raining outside, and sometimes just do that to store them a day or so.

JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Richard Clements wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet01.boi.hp.com:

really a panel saw with all the cables etc, but takes less space than the appropriate sized infeed/outfeed for a tablesaw and is better than crawling around on the floor with a skilsaw - at least for my money.

Haven't built it yet, but it's on my list. Plan to modify it to make it mobile with lumber rack on the back side and space for sheet goods sandwiched between.

LD

snip

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

some- I think most- can rip. you rotate the saw to 90 degrees to the rails and push the plywood through it.

Reply to
bridger

here's one of the more reputable manufacturers' lowest end machine that they guarantee 1/64" accuracy for.

don't give a price...

Reply to
bridger

Bought the Milwaukee 6480 with extentions and crosscut stop for our community theater scene shop a couple of years ago. With a little attention to setup, accuracy is around 1/32". We use it to cut 1/4 to

3/4" plywood and mdf. Up to 1/2" - 4x8 sheets are easy to crosscut or rip by one person. 3/4" sheets are doable, but ripping is somewhat easier with 2 people. We probably average around 20 - 30 cuts per month and everyone who has used it wonders how we got along without it.

I'm lucky. When I have to make the occasional cut in a full sheet, I just haul it up to the playhouse. :0)

HTH Bill

Reply to
Bill

FWW had a Shop Tip on a faux panel-saw. Take four 2x4s, notch them so they hang from above on a pipe you mount to the ceiling or the wall, and so they hang at about 5 degrees tilt when contacting the floor. Screw/glue a block near the bottom (at a comfortable height for you) of each 2x4 to support sheet goods. Use a clamp-n-guide to guide a circular saw to make vertical cuts (across the 4' width of the sheet). Accuracy depends on your ability to clamp the guide. You can cut anywhere on the sheet without contacting the 2x4s because they can be moved independently along the pipe. To make horizontal cuts (along the 8' length) set the saw to cut the sheet plus 1/8" or so, and clamp the section *above* the cut line to the 2x4s to keep the cut section from closing the kerf. When you're not using the jig, the 2x4s can be put away.

Sounds good to me. I've installed the pipe, and when the next sheet needs cutting, I'll do the rest.

===== Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. ===== {remove curly brackets for email}

Reply to
Chuck

But I dont HAVE 8 feet of wall to set it up on....

Reply to
bridger

Nothing at the BORG panel saws I see. I wondered why they don't have some of those small plastic kerf-keepers nearby, myself.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Patrick Conroy notes:

Most of the "vertical" panel saws I've seen--all, in fact--have enough tilt back off the vertical to keep the kerf from closing up. It only takes a few degrees.

Charlie Self "Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

Reply to
Charlie Self

Great link! Once I build the shed and can move the rakes and shovels off of the garage wall, this will fit perfectly! Now, I just need to find a jointer that isn't too deep. I know the Delta's with the R&P fence have too much depth to fit in my garage (I refuse to give up on using the garage for car storage. I live in hail country and it just plain fun being resourceful with small spaces.)

Reply to
Jay

If I had a cabinet shop....

I made my kitchen cabinets and all sorts of built-in bookshelves. It easily paid for itself --- especially on wear and tear to my aging body.

Reply to
Joeljcarver

horizontally, what's to stop the weight of the upper piece clamping down on the saw blade as it goes by?

The operator pulls up slightly on the upper piece on the outfeed side as you pull it through. It's really simple. If you're nervous about precise ripping, you can cut the stock slightly oversize and then trim the more managable piece on your tablesaw.

Not needed.

Reply to
Joeljcarver