Vertical Panel Saw

Page 1 of 2
There’s been a measure of messages about vertical panels saws and their productivity. I can only discuss why I got one and its usefulness.
I usually make cabinets or shelves from painted MDO and face them with hardwood. At first I was cutting up four by eight plywood sheets on my Unisaw on a rolling base. That was always a challenge, but a I got older it became a struggle — if not damn near impossible, and I needed a helper to support the end of the stock.
I got the Safety Speed Cut Saw (Milwaukee), with accessories — wheels, support extensions, quick stop gauge, fixed stand, and a dust kit that I connected to my dust collection system. In all, at that time, it cost me about $1400.
With this set-up I can cut stock to size in a fraction of the time it took me on the table saw, and, with a helper, it’s amazing. I can cut parts for cabinets in two hours that took me a day and a half when I had to wrestle those heavy sheets onto the saw table. Very quickly, the tool paid for itself.
Joel Jacobsob
Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 4:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Joeljcarver) says: There’s been a measure of messages about vertical panels saws and their productivity. I can only discuss why I got one and its usefulness. I usually make cabinets or shelves <snip> Very quickly, the tool paid for itself.
To me, it only makes sense for someone doing that for a living, to have one. If I had a cabinet shop, you betcha I'd have some version of a panel saw. For someone who is selling his output as a sideline, "maybe" it would be worth it.
For most hobby woodworkers, probably not - unless they're ghe type who buy Hummers, and never drive off-road, and have loads of cash to burn. Those types gotta have it, even if they don't know what it does.
Me, I'd like to have one, bud don't have room. If I did have room, I wouldn't have the money. And, I sure don't "need" one. Altho, if I had room, I wouldn't mind making my own verson. But, really a moot point, because it's so hard on me anymore, to handle full sheets.
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
had room, I wouldn't mind making my own verson. But, really a moot point, because it's so hard on me anymore, to handle full sheets.
As some of you know, I use a wheelchair. So, I too have a problem handling full sheets of plywood, but I do have one question about panel saws, at least about the better quality ones.
How accurate are they? With a tablesaw, a locked down fence and a motor that is fixed in place, I am able to cut up to and better than 1/64" tolerances. The idea of a mobile saw blade on a track suggests to me that those types of tolerances might be harder to obtain. Admittedly, I've only seen the home depot type and the staff are just interested in a "near close" cut and that's all they're concerned with. Accurate isn't really a consideration.
I guess that's my only concern and hesitancy about getting a panel saw. That and I've never seen anybody selling them.

they range from slightly more accurate than a skilsaw in your hand to capable of consistently holding a couple of thousandths. how much do you want to spend?
I think it was wood that had an article on how to make one last year, using a skill saw, I don't have room for one at the time so I didn't look to closely, wish I had, and I don't have the issue has anyone seen a good plan for one?
Richard
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/panelcutguide.html
Not really a panel saw with all the cables etc, but takes less space than the appropriate sized infeed/outfeed for a tablesaw and is better than crawling around on the floor with a skilsaw - at least for my money.
Haven't built it yet, but it's on my list. Plan to modify it to make it mobile with lumber rack on the back side and space for sheet goods sandwiched between.
LD
snip

Great link! Once I build the shed and can move the rakes and shovels off of the garage wall, this will fit perfectly! Now, I just need to find a jointer that isn't too deep. I know the Delta's with the R&P fence have too much depth to fit in my garage (I refuse to give up on using the garage for car storage. I live in hail country and it just plain fun being resourceful with small spaces.)

Well, let's say that my next tablesaw purchase might be a General cabinet saw with Biesemeyer fence approaching $3000 (Canadian funds). Figure a little above $2000 US. Are panel saws available for that kind of money that are capable of my 1/64" benchmark? Can you recommend any brands?
Thanks
Thu, Jul 29, 2004, 10:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (Upscale) asks: <snip> Figure a little above $2000 US. Are panel saws available for that kind of money that are capable of my 1/64" benchmark? <snip>
I've seen 'em on the web for about $1000-1500 range. Not eyeballed one in person, but they look similar to the ones I have seen, that slice up & down, or sideways.
the ones I've seen, I'd say, yes, they could to 1/64". However. Remember the word "however", it's "alwyas" gonna be there. It depends on the operator. Most of 'em I've seen are idiots. I often get a full sheet slized sidways at 11 7/8", which meant I get (theoretically) 7 pieces that size, with an 8th one just a shade wider. Yeah, I wish. Got one batch with something like a 9 7/8", 10 7/8", and 12 7/8", plus a couple of odd sizes. Stop block? Oh, those are any use. Instead, they usually measure each cut individuallly, or sometimes want to measure all the custs "before" they do any cutting. But, I do have some leeway in the width (planned), so normally can work with what I get. I do try to keep a very close eye on t hem, but once in awhile get distracted. But, all in all, I'd say, yeah, the machine is probably capable quite close accuracy. Sure makes it one whole Hell of a lot easier, handling smaller pices like that. I can even carry them inside the cab of the truck, if its raining outside, and sometimes just do that to store them a day or so.
JOAT The highway of fear is the road to defeat. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid

blade
Nothing at the BORG panel saws I see. I wondered why they don't have some of those small plastic kerf-keepers nearby, myself.
Patrick Conroy notes:

Most of the "vertical" panel saws I've seen--all, in fact--have enough tilt back off the vertical to keep the kerf from closing up. It only takes a few degrees.
Charlie Self "Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

here's one of the more reputable manufacturers' lowest end machine that they guarantee 1/64" accuracy for. http://www.panelsaw.com/products_saws_6400.htm they don't give a price...
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:03:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Well, I went to an Oz dealer (not knowing US zip codes, and the US dealers all se4emed to want email requests for price) and that one's Aud$10,700. Probably guess at US$5,000 +)
It weighs 600lb!

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.

Well, unless I turn out to be a missed long lost relative of Bill Gates, that would put it out of any price range I'd ever consider for a saw. I'd guess that most people go with a tablesaw, because panel saws aren't mass produced enough to bring the prices for them down to what some might consider a reasonable level.
My manual wheelchair is the same thing. $3000 for what it cost new. Put three or four of them together and you've got the equivalent in funds for a small compact car, but there sure is a hell of a lot less engineering in those chairs than there is in the car.
Upscale notes:

IMO, there's a heavy gouge factor added to every piece of medical equipment sold today. I can recall paying for my own knee surgery and getting clipped--and I use that word advisedly--for $38 for a 6' long Ace bandage.
When my mother was alive, the hospital whacked her 10 bucks for two generic aspirin and couldn't understand when she told them where to put their billed-in donation: I really loved that one, because they didn't ask if you wanted to donate, they billed it and waited for you, or your insurance company, to delete it. Mom had 2 things going: she was an RN who worked nearly 50 years, including several as acting hospital adminstrator, and she was raised during the Great Depression. I'd love to have 5% of her fiscal handiness.
Charlie Self "Democracy is a process by which people are free to choose the man who will get the blame." Laurence J. Peter
On 02 Aug 2004 13:12:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

,,, but the charge includes installation!
On 02 Aug 2004 13:12:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

,,, but the charge includes installation!
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:03:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Actually that's not one of their lowend saws at all. It's middle of the range. But as you say, it is the first one to offer 1/64th cutting accuracy.
For a mere (probable) US$2500 or so (Aud$5500), you get 1/32, with max cut 4' by 8'.

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
I have never looked at a panel saw up close to see how it works or what it can do so maybe someone can answer this question for me. Does the panel saw only crosscut the plywood vertically or can it also rip the plywood horizontally?
Thanks in advance, Jim www.woodblog.com

that
tolerances.
of
That
Jim asks:

Both.
Charlie Self "Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh