Veritas vs. Lie Nielsen hand planes

I've been extremely pleased with my block and rabbet planes from Veritas, and I'm now in the market for a big bench plane - a 6 or a 7. I'm not so much interested in looks and resale value as I am usability. The added features of the Veritas and the lower price have me leaning that way, but only if the plane will "work" as well as the Lie Nielsen. The sharpness of the blade out of the box is irrelevant, as I'll sharpen it myself, but I'd rather not have to spend hours truing the sole or something like that.
Anyone have any strong opinions either way? thanks JP

Both brands are exceptional. If you have the extra $ get the LN.
Jay Pique wrote:

They're very comparable. You should be able to find lots of opinions in the archives of this newsgroup.
One thing to consider is that the shape of the tote is somewhat different between the two brands, so you might find that one is more comfortable than the other.
The other thing you might think about would be to look at the bevel-up series. I have the Veritas low-angle jack, so it would be natural for me to look at their bevel-up jointer so that I can swap blades between them.
Chris

If what I spent my money on is a strong opinion then go for the L-N No 7. It is a terrific tool... Does everything that a Stanley 7, or my grandfather's Millers Falls 22, will do and do it much better. The bed rock design, heavy iron and sides perpendicular to the base make it cut nicely and make it versatile. Mine spends a lot of time being used with shooting boards and it does a superb job for that task. I can also shave .001" shavings with it for final flattening/surfacing.
John

is superior to the three Bedrocks I have, but not much.