Veritas twin screw idea?

I finished my real bench awhile back and am loving it. Butcher block maple top,Record 53 on the front and Veritas twin screw on the udder end. When I installed the twin screw I knew from 'sperience and from other posts that the weight of the 4" thick maple movable jaw would be a problem. As a converted machinist wanabe I did not want to use rub blocks under the top because the leverage gets horrible when the vise is open fully. So I got the idea of using drawer slides mounted under the lead screws as not to be in the way. I mocked it up using cheapo Home Depot 100#(not really?) full extension slides,lots of clamps and some angle iron. It worked pretty well except The vise jaw was too heavy for the slides and I had to preload the drawslides by angling them up a few degrees to account for the drooping at full extension. This still is not a problem if you turn the vise screws slowly. If you try to turn the screws too fast(a normal speed) the vise jaw bounces and the screws bind in the nuts. Otherwise it works VERY NICELY!, Smooth as can be. NOW THE POINT! Does anyone know if the 200# slides that LV sells are gobs better than the 100# cheapo slides HD sells? I don't care so much about the $ as drilling lots of mounting holes in my bench. I hope a better,higher capacity slide wont sag so much. Any input on the idea or LV heavy duty slides welcome. Thanks for reading Keith

Reply to
keith

Keith:

Got a website with pictures of your bench and your drawer glides trick? Did you do square or round dogholes in the twin screw vise jaw and if square how'd you do it?

charllie b

Reply to
charlie b

I have pics of the bench,but no website and none of the mocked up slides. when i tried it out i had clamps holding everything together and they made it useless as a vice. The slides that i had did not work well enough that i wanted to drill holes all over the place. I'm hoping the bigger slides will be better. As far as dog holes,mine are round, but it would have been easier for me to make them square. The movable jaw was made from two pcs of 8/4 maple and i would have milled or dadoed the hole(groove) prior to glue up. I could probably explain it(drawer slide idea) better if you want. Keith

Reply to
keith