Veritas steel straight edge:

Page 2 of 3

Hi David -
Right now, they sit at :
38" - 39.50 CDN, 33.50 US 50" - 65.00 CDN, 55.00 US
Not sure about shipping surcharge (Canada) on the 50" one - but I think we're eating it....nothings final 'till it's printed though.
Cheers -
Rob

fold it to make it short enough so you don't have a surcharge

Rob
Any possibility that you are going to come out with those lengths in STEEL??
I know, they would be MORE expensive, but frankly, I prefer Steel over Aluminum for things like those that I intend to keep and USE for many, many years
John

Hi John -
We're looking at longer steel versions - but it requires new equipment, the weight becomes a factor, as does the stress relief....it won't be fast...
Cheers -
Rob
Rob
Well thanks for at least saying you are contemplating it - will live with my 2ft steel one till you come out with one 4ft+
John

Starrett sells a 36", 48", and 72" straight edge, as well as shorter lengths.
Philly

Alas, Starrett stuff is out of my price range, for the limited use I'd put them to.
David
philly wrote:

For a reasonably priced longer straight edge, try carpet installers tools http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bin/INTstore.pl?user_action=list&category rpet%20Tools%3BStraight%20Edge
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

would they be .001 or .003 accurate?
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:59:15 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

carpet laying doesn't need that kind of accuracy, and the tools see a lot of abuse. I doubt that the manufacturers would bother.

http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bin/INTstore.pl?user_action=list&category rpet%20Tools%3BStraight%20Edge
Why in the world does a carpet installer need a six foot straightedge within 5 thousanths?

A carpet for the space shuttle?
I'd think that would apply to woodworkers also.

Frank Ketchum wrote:

Frank...
Can you imagine a carpet looking worse than an orange/purple/pink shag carpet that's more than 0.005" /oversize/?
(-8
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Probably the guy who did a house I looked at in Parkersburg. One bedroom had purple and grfeen shag carpet, with one wall all mirrors (several of them broken), while another bedroom had brown and yellowish orange shag, with one wall all bookcase--badly built but firmly nailed to the wall.
Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce

Ok, lets say the wall is out of parallel by 10 thousandths. . . . . . . . . .

The same wall that's framed by guys who mark with crayons? Never! <G>
Barry
Barry, don't scoff at the guys with crayons! Crayons are much more accurate than using a spray can of inverted marking paint.
David
Ba r r y wrote:

This reminds me of a recent WSN article I read. A former boat outfitter was describing how nothing in a boat is square, and everything needs to be scribed. Just like a lot of new homes! <g>
Seriously, though, the boat fitting has to make working with funky compound angles second nature.
Barry
wrote in message

Clearly a problem Edwin, but that's where the art of splicing on a carpet shim comes in. Stick a little duct tape on the underside spanning the joint, and marry in the .0010 needed to follow the wall. Geeze...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com