Venting about trucks, trailers, and custmer service

Last year my youngest son needed to move from LA back home. We decided that a trailer was the best way to haul what he wanted to bring. When he got prices from U-Haul they wanted 2/3 as much to rent a trailer for the trip as we could buy a new one for. Since I had been considering buying a trailer anyway, I ended up charging it to my credit card by phone and he pulled it home. Registering it here raised some eyebrows. They had to ask why I bought a trailer in California when I wanted it registered here only 4 days after I bought it. A long explanation later it got registered.

Reply to
Charley

"Registering it here raised some eyebrows."

Don't you just love those government employees? Always asking questions they have no right to. Where you purchased the item is immaterial to the registration process.

I once applied for a PO Box and was challenged to provide (as ID) either a Driver's License, Voter's Registration or Social Security card. I reuse, advising the postal employee that one could not be required (in this country) to drive, vote or participate in the Social Security System in order to receive U.S. Mail.

They relented and accepted a copy of a phone bill.

After 9/11 they really got a tight anal orifice - Bin Laden had the intended effect on our society all right. Some guy in a cave effectively re-writes our constitution with the help, of course, of a bunch of reactionary congress persons knee jerking us out of privacy rights, habeas corpus and our little Bics at the airport.

Reply to
resrfglc

I rather enjoyed the game with them. They were very puzzled as to why I would go all the way to California to buy a trailer, and also how I managed to get this trailer all the way to North Carolina to register it here only 4 days after it was purchased. After explaining that my son needed it to move back, and he drove 12-16 hour days, they gave me the registration without any further delay. They were a little upset though, that I cheated them out of the sales tax, as I had paid it in California. When they tried to charge me for it here I produced the invoice showing that it had been paid in California and told them that they had no right to charge a second sales tax. They backed down. Buraucracy......You can try to fight them and raise your stress levels, but it's more fun to beat them at their own game. I had fun with this one, even though I didn't win monetarily.

Reply to
Charley