ventilation - slightly OT

I'm working on a workshop right now... for mainly stained glass, but also some woodworking etc etc. Seems I didn't account for ventilation in that room when i put the walls up... gets quit stifling in there. I've been thinking about a relatively innexpensive way to exchange some air in there when the door is closed (as it usually will be). My idea was to install 2 exhaust type fans... one at floor level to suck air in from outside the shop (from the basement), and one mounted over my workbench to draw away solder/chemical vapors etc vented to the outside. That should provide reasonable air flow.

The question is, how to vent the silly thing outside. This used to be the laundry room (well, it still is technically, just enlarged), so I was thinking about perhaps hooking into the dryer exhaust, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Can I just cobble together some sort of splice between the two ducts (flexible stuff) and go to it... or are there other considerations.

Unfortunately there are no useable windows in there, so the dryer vent is my best option at the moment.

tia

Reply to
Chris Gibson

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:15:19 -0400, "Chris Gibson" pixelated:

Since the fumes are toxic, you'll need to seal off the dryer connection itself while the fan is exhausting nastygas or it will fill your utility room with them. Also make sure that the windows downwind aren't bringing it back into the house via another room.

How about a bathroom fan/vent which takes it out an attic port? Smoke rises and might be more easily captured from the ceiling. Tie it into the kitchen vent, ridge vent, or other vent in the roof. I would choose this method over the dryer vent. Holes in the ceiling are fairly simple, too, though messy.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sounds more or less like what I was thinking. Attic port... not tooo likely. this is a basement room... hence the idea of using an existing hole in the wall to outside at ceiling height.

i'll have to give some thought to how to splice the ducts together without either interfering with the other.

Reply to
Chris Gibson