Veneering

Page 2 of 2
On 2/17/2010 10:08 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Love those pictures! Great resource.
Thanks for posting.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Indeed. Same thing for the iron-on tape. The good ones have (somewhat) tinted adhesive.
eclipsme wrote:

That is a distinct possibility. Given the thinness of the face veneer you would have to cut the edging flush to it...if your cut dips much, the paper on the face veneer would show. Also, cutting the edging flush is going to give you pretty sharp edges...the edging is thin enough that you can't round it much.
There are two ways you could avoid the potential problem(s)... 1. Don't use paper backed veneer 2. Use solid wood for the edging, cut thick enough so it can easily be flush to the face but rounded a bit to relieve the edge.
Personally, I'd do both. __________________

I'd just use ply that already has the face veneer I wanted. _________________

Your press will take full sheets?
If so, I think it is pretty much six of one and a half dozen of the other assuming you can cut up the veneered sheet without chipping the veneer.
If not - or if you choose to veneer cut pieces - you were concerned about the vacuum breaking the overhanging veneer. I've never used a vacuum press but is their any you couldn't support the overhang with pieces of the substrate?
Again, it would be just worlds easier to use ply with the veneer you want already on it. __________________

The "how to" always says to do so. I've done it both ways, NP with eiher. A one side veneered panel has to be stout and firmly afixed wherever it is going though. _____________

See my other post in the thread.
--

dadiOH
On 2/17/2010 11:33 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Orlando to purchase from. I think my main problem has been figuring out exactly what I want and getting prices on that. Most places seem to want you to go through the setup an account process before quoting prices. Anyway, I am making progress, and thank you for your direction.
Harvey