Veneering

I want to build some bookshelves. So far, so easy. Now, here comes the call for help, but let me first give you the basic facts:

I now live in Brasil. Plywood is far more affordable than MDF. Veneers are readily available in all sizes and widths, but none is paper-backed. Choices of glues are limited: white PVA, yellow "wood glue", some horrible epoxy which cures with a grey color, and contact glue. I do not possess a vacuum veneer press (and do not intend to buy/build one). My choice of veneer for this application is Peroba (hardwood, long grain, nice flat veneer sheets).

I'd like to know about your experiences, recommendations and comments if you can spare a few lines.

I have been browsing a lot already, but it always comes back with either glue I cannot source here (eg. Unibond 800, unless someone can tell me what it actually is made of, so maybe I can find an equivalent) and/or the use of a vacuum press.

Thank you very much in advance.

Reply to
Woodworm

Hi,

We were using white PVA glue during my veneering classes and it was doing the job well. You gotta hurry up for large surfaces thought but it's ok. As for the clamping, depending on the surface you have, you may get away with a lot of deep F clamps. If you're lucky you may be able to find those large presses made especially for veneering. The problem is they're expensive if you have to buy them new (about 400$ each).

As for the veneering vaccum press, I know a company which makes an more affordable kit but it still too expensive for casual use.

If you work on a large surface, your only choice will remain contact glue.

If you want to know the in and out of veneering, do yourself a favor and order the following book:

'll learn all you need to know and much more.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Wally

Reply to
Wally