veneer questions

Hello,

I am seeking some advice on how to inlay a non-symmetric, curved piece of wood into other veneer strips. This is for the front of a cabinet door I need to inlay with strips of ash. The idea is I cut out the non-symmetric design (actually bookmarked cocobolo) and inlay it into the ash strips.

Not having done this before I have a few questions:

What is the best way to secure the cocobolo so I can trace its design around the ash strips? The cocobolo pieces are very small.

What is the best way to cut out the design on the ash? Exacto knife? Band saw?

What is the best glue to secure the veneers to the cabinet doors? Hide glue, Cabinetmakers glue? Contact cement?

What is the best method for smoothing the veneer once it is secured? It is reasonably smooth now (I have run it through a surface planer) but there are still a couple of rough spots.

Are there any issues with gluing cocobolo? It is a rather oily wood

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Dean Hummel.

Reply to