veneer on 1905 french piano

I have a nice Erard grand piano that has some of the veneer which has buckled due to humidity perhaps.

behind the veneer, the wood was scraped with a tool that left a hatch-pattern, no doubt to improve the sticking of the glue used.

I was wondering if there is a quick way of flattening out the veneer on the solid mahogany backing, perhaps with steam and/or an clothes iron, or something that will permit me to keep the veneer on the piano without unglue-ing the whole piece off.

any ideas?

Reply to
alfred

The tool would have been a toothing plane and it would have been done for precisely the reason you surmise.

Someone once told me that he uses water and glycerin to soften veneer when applying it, but never explained the process. One thing for sure, you don't want to experiment on the piano!

Reply to
fredfighter