Veneer Edging tape

I have used the iron-on wood veneeer tape on relatively simple projects with good results, but have not had enough experience to evaluate the long-term durability of the material. I'm now starting a rather nice TV table with quartersawn oak top and ends and plywood shelves. I'm debating whether to use the veneer tape or to glue strips of oak to the edges. Advice sought.

Reply to
John B

I've had "reasonable" results with it, but I used a heat gun to apply it instead of an iron. It still looks OK.

I did a little testing first since it was edging for plywood, and the results were much better on a finely sanded edge, almost a final finish sanding (220 grit). It's been about three years and still looks OK. One thing about this type; it's easier to cut and angle little cutouts, etc., if it's necessary, which it was in my case.

I'm sure ymmv.

HTH Pop

Reply to
Pop

I've only used the iron on edging for a painted project so don't know how it takes stain but it has held up well. I made four cubbies and ironed the edging on the face of them. Three years later with blocks and dolls smacked into them, an occasional bump with the vaccum and only one small chip. It would probably hold up fine but I don't think you'll be able to hide the seam well enough for a stained project.

Reply to
RayV

I have been using it for years with good results. The only failure that I know of was on a curved surface. I made our kitchen table out of 3/4" oak plywood and edge banding in 1990 and its holding up well.

Reply to
Bigpole

For projects where it doesn't matter how much it gets banged up, I've used iron on edging and it's always stayed on fine. For those projects where I consider them to be a finer piece of work, I use the wood veneer edging (not iron on) and white glue to attach them. In both cases, to date, I haven't experienced any failures.

Reply to
Upscale