veneer - cutting long pieces accurately

I was hoping to find some adhesive-backed (pressure sensitive) walnut veneer in 3" wide rolls, but it looks like I'll have to make it myself. The stuff can be purchased in a 24" X 96" size but what would be the best way to slice it into long (96") strips?
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

Hard because it will tend to split off the mark when you slice it (with knife). You could use one of the little veneer saws and do it by hand but that could tale a *long* time and would still tend to split.
Best I can suggest is clamp a good stout straight edge on it and hold it down hard as you cut with a knife.
Easy way to attach it is to put a coat of white (PVA) glue on whatever you want to attach it to, let the glue fry and then iron on the veneer.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
I think I'll try to do it on the tablesaw, with a zero-clearance piece clamped to the rip fence.
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

It will be torn to pieces.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
It will be torn to pieces.
-- dadiOH
Unbacked veneer would, surely, but the 3M presure- sensitive stuff cut like Formica on the table saw, with its paper backing. With the proper setup it worked fine.
On 30 Oct 2005 10:08:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

How accurately is accurately? Usually you cut oversize and trim after gluing so it doesn't need to be perfect. A straight edge and knife will do fine but tend to follow the grain if you aren't careful. Scissors work surprisingly well. Joint a +96" board, mark pencil lines and cut. There are also, and I'm not sure what the correct name is, but rolling knives, sorta like pizza cutters are supposed to work well.
-Leuf
The "rolling knives" that we have are Olfa Rotary Cutters. I have one for trimming edge banding and wife has on for cutting fabrics for quilting. SHARP disks is a serious understatement! Check in sewing section of department stores or fabric store. Leuf chose a good name for them.

Others have mentioned the long straight edge and knife approach and I'd like to add my vote to theirs. Two things to pay attention to:
1. Cut in the direction that WOULD NOT cause the knife to follow the grain away from the straight edge.
2. Use a very sharp knife (i.e. X-acto with NEW #11 blade) and take many very light cuts.
Bill Leonhardt

Probably the most reliable way of accurately lengthwise cutting veneer is to follow this advice and then finally trim the edge on a shooting board, using a suitable board to flatten and secure the workpiece.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron