Veneer -- best adhesive

Like an idiot I had some walnut plywood cut and didn't consider the grain direction on it so I'll need to apply some veneer over some pieces.
Haven't used veneer in a while and when I did it was self adhesive stuff I believe.
But on material without backing, what is the absolute best way to go?
Contact cements are hit and miss -- there are some good professional ones though.
I have some 3M hi strength 90 spray (damn good) (but edge cleanup?)
Also have some 3M 468 transfer tape at my disposal I could use.
I know with the 3M 90 it will stay put but concerned about cleaning the excess adhesive.

The size of the veneer and the thickness is going to come into play. I typically use regular wood glue when I veneer. But, I typically don't work with large pieces. The trick is to get the "whole" surface clamped with adequate uniform pressure.
A contact adhesive may be a better or easier choice as the glue sets up quickly and using a roller to press the entire surface to ensure complete contact would replace clamping the entire surface for an hour or more.
I may be answering my own question as I just experimented with the HS 90 spray.
Seems that 3M recomends a citrus base adhesive remover for it so I just tried some "goo gone" and it works great. This adhesive is very sticky so i didn't think anything off the shelf would work.
If the HS 90 doesn't harm the veneer -- I think it's the way to go.
Extremely strong stuff -- (stronger than contact cement in my experience).
mkr5000 wrote:

Contact adhesive is never very good with veneer it still allows creep
mkr5000 wrote:

We used to use cascamite and place heavy weights onto the veneered areas plus gramps around the edges , much depends on your thickness of veneer though some glues will leech through on some timbers or stain .
Damping the face of the veneer to be glued does help with leeching sometimes on veneer if your using water based glues
Its probably easier in the long run just to replace the ply and keep your other cuts for other projects
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:50:48 -0800, mkr5000 wrote:

Hide glue and a veneer hammer. If you don't have a glue pot, the liquid version works almost as well.

I recently made some stacking tables with curly maple veneer attached to a baltic birch substrate. I used Titebond cold press veneer glue. You have good long working time. I used a scrapbooking rubber roller to spread the glue. I used two cauls on top and bottom that were wrapped in Saran wrap. Cane out great.