Veneer

Part 1: For any of you, in the North Carolina area, interested in veneer, here's some veneer in your area:

2: The pics in the link give a clue as how to assemble veneer work, for a varied configuration. I would have never thought to assemble veneer, by taping the pieces together first, to help configure the overall pattern. I'm sure there is more to the process, than what I've gleened, but I found this taping clue interesting/ helpful, in my understanding the assembly process. I don't do much veneer work, but I'll remember this technique.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

This is pretty much the standard way to do it. Several places sell perforated paper tape with a water activated gum (or starch) adhesive. You align the pieces of veneer, tape them together, then glue the design in place. When the glue has set up, you can either re- wet the tape and pull it off, or sand it off.

Reply to
lektric dan

This is pretty much the standard way to do it. Several places sell perforated paper tape with a water activated gum (or starch) adhesive. You align the pieces of veneer, tape them together, then glue the design in place. When the glue has set up, you can either re- wet the tape and pull it off, or sand it off.

Add the step of claming the ever loving bejebus out of the piece also.

Reply to
Leon

Hey Leon, what is claming the veneer? Inquiring minds would like to know. I am looking into doing some veneering...

RP

Reply to
RP

It is a process where you get back to nature and use clams to do the clamping, not politically correct but I'm not that kind of guy anyway. ;!)

In case you were serious, ;~) you want to clamp every square inch of the veneer since it does not have any rigidity.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote It is a process where you get back to nature and use clams to do the clamping, not politically correct but I'm not that kind of guy anyway. ;!)

In case you were serious, ;~) you want to clamp every square inch of the veneer since it does not have any rigidity.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ It helps to clamp a good flat piece of plywood on each side or the workpiece, to lessen the number of clamps while spreading out the pressure. It also is good to use a thin styrofoam like fanfold insulation to put pressure on even when the veneer is not all the exact same thickness

-- Jim in NC .

Reply to
Morgans