Veneed MDF

About to veneer some MDF to make table leaves using a vacuum press . I will attempt to do both sides at once ,the panels are edged with solid wood.
The question is ,the MDF surface is so smooth I was wonderiong how well glue penetrates and so does the surface need some kind of prep
Nope. Tom

Thanks for your help guys.....regards mike hide
mike hide wrote:

Sticks like the proverbial to a blanket ;) John
Depends on the glue. MDF soaks stuff up like a sponge so you may want to do a test piece and make sure that you're using enough.

Um, Put a drop of water on that MDF and rethink whether it remains smooth. When you apply the glue, the surface will no longer remain as smooth. Secondly, smooth surfaces actually are a great surface to glue to.

MDF is very smooth, but it is also very porous. Jim

I've never veneered mdf, but I'ved applied Formica to it.The first time was a failure, the contact cement (water base) was absorbed or over-absorbed by the mdf. The second try was successful. I spread the contact cement on the mdf, let it cure, applied another coat and the Formica adhered. I had a small job to do recently and decided to try a single coat again using solvent based contact cement. I spread this coat a bit heavy and it adhered nicely. Not a very scientific trial, but maybe the cement base can be an issue. Hank