Vegetarian woodworking

Anyone out there a vegetarian, or have veggie clients ? Any vegans ? Do you extend vegetarianism to your woodworking too ? How far do you go ? Is beeswax OK ?

I've got an issue going on with hide glue at the moment. Fortunately the client doesn't know what shellac is made from 8-)

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't pretend to understand Vegans, I am just getting the Martians figured out :-)

Actually in the case of shellac, the bugs leave it behind, they are not hurt if we collect it nor would they use it themselves. Does this client have a problem with "Poo Pets" also?

BRuce

Andy D> Anyone out there a vegetarian, or have veggie clients ? Any vegans ?

Reply to
BRuce

Just say that the hide glue is made from toenail trimmings from cow pedicures.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Polyurethane glues and varnishes are difficult??? C'mon you can even get them at your local borg.

Reply to
George

Tell them to get a life.. Did they walk or drive over to your place? Do they wear synthetic or natural fiber clothes? Do they wear shoes? Do they have electricity in their homes or go to bed at sunset? We can carry this stuff to far. I'd cater to a different customer base if that were me!!!

Reply to
Mike

Vegetarian and veggan have to do with what you eat. Are your clients planning on eating your woodwork? Or are your clients weird and don't want to have anything to do with animals including, seeing, touching, or even knowing that have passed this way? How do they stand themselves? Do they french kiss?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

A real vegan would have a problem with beeswax as well as shellac. Anything that comes from an animal whether it kills it or not would be no good. Of course the animals that are killed when cutting trees for the wood don't count, but you might not want to bring it up.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pearce

There are times you just have to walk away...

Sometimes "customer satisfaction" means referring them to a competitor.

"Why don't you try W.H. Smith"

"I did. They sent me here."

"*DID* they?"

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Well being in business for a good many years qualifies me to say I can just about top anyones story of weirdo clients. But I humbly submit that I am defeated here , Oh my will suprises never stop coming forth

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:03:02 +0000, Andy Dingley scribbled

Most of my vegetarian friends think that eating moose (and other wild game) is OK. Moose-eating vegetarians from the Yukon! So the answer is: only if it comes from wild bees that have abandoned their hive.

Hide glue is made from animals who have died a happy natural death surrounded by their loving human partners (and are therefore unfit for human consumption). So, unless they believe that critters should be given a proper Christian burial . . .

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

If that's true I wondered why they don't have a problem with what their "organic" vegetables are grown in.

Nova

So true.....in the long run, tis better to have a happy non-customer than a less than pleased customer.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

Can't veneer with polyurethane glue...

And I'll paint the thing yellow before I start using poly varnish !

Andy Dingley

So, what is shellac made of anyway?

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling

Bug snot. No, really.

Reply to
Jay Windley

Where did you find this quote? I want to put it on a plaque in my shop. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

The happy non-customer is *MUCH* less likely to speak ill of you...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

If we moved to fully organic production half the world would starve to death.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Maybe I should have said, "Just about anything"

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Pearce

Half the world *is* starving to death.