Vegetarian woodworking

Page 2 of 2
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Where did you find this quote? I want to put it on a plaque in my shop. ;-)
-- Mark
scribbled

Are you saying that it's only okay with the vegetarians if the moose is f.o.r.d. (found on roadside dead)?
btw: what does moose taste like? Is it more like beef or like venison?
Cheers, Mike
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:30:38 -0800, Mike wrote:

Not sure about moose, but elk is not nearly as gamey tasting as venison.
-Doug

Lots of guys think it's necessary to hang the carcass to "age" the meat. This is fine, IF you know what you're doing, AND have the right environment for it. Most people don't. I always get mine to a good butcher as fast as possible, and have *never* had gamey-tasting venison.

More like venison, perhpas a bit stronger flavour.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
On 13 Nov 2003 19:30:38 -0800, half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) scribbled

No, I'm talking about moose humanely killed with a .30-06 or a .303. I think its a partly question of respecting and accepting First Nation traditions of sharing and of respecting animals, and seeing ourselves as part of nature. There's something sacred and wonderful about sharing wild meat. It also stems from disliking and opposing industrial animal raising methods for ecological and ethical reasons. It's getting late and I'm getting philosophical. You have to live here to understand.

I don't know how to answer that. It tastes like moose. The commercial venison and elk I've had recently had less flavour. It can be horribly gamey if the animal was killed in the middle of the rut and little care was taken in preventing the meat from coming into contact with the hair. Much better and more flavourful than beef, and equally tender on younger animals (2-3 years old). Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle
do you think it tastes like?!?"
Cheers, Mike - spoiled by having a grandfather who raised beef cattle
okay, all the plonk-able posts aside, i am a vegetarian, and wouldnt really care about the hide glue, as long as you dont make me lick it...
irax.
Andy Dingley wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:03:02 +0000, Andy Dingley

When I was still building houses I had a client who wanted a huge house built. It was going to be an interesting project and I was happy to be doing it.
The house had a very complex foundation system, owing to the requirements of the steep slopes on the site and the unusual outline of the building.
We completed the pours on a Friday afternoon and everyone went home in the happy expectation that we could begin the framing on Monday.
On Monday morning the client met me at the jobsite and told me that we would have to tear out or bury all of the freshly-poured foundation...
...because over the weekend, her Feng-Shui person had told her that the house was sited wrong.
Why don't they stay in California?

think of it as job security...
--
be safe.
flip

As long as you are paid it is all good.
-Jack

<snip of successful pour of complex foundation>

Two things:
- Demand immediate payment in full of all expenses to date, prior to any demolition occurring. - Walk off the jobsite never to return.
Jon E
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:06:21 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"

Two things:
I told her I was a builder, not a therapist.
I got fired.
Third thing:
That was OK by me.
Tom Watson writes:

Fourth thing: Almost all these superstitious anal apertures have bales of money to waste. One has to wonder how they ever got them.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Probably inherited or by acting. One radio pundit has posited that, in general, most second and third generation millionaires never amount to much. Sounds like the above was one of those generations using up the hard work of the previous generation.