Vegetarian woodworking

Has anyone ever seen how the stuff is actually harvested?

The more I think about it, the more amazing it is, really. There must be billions of the things on plantations somewhere, and they must drain one hell of a lot of whatever plants they eat dry.

Reply to
Silvan

Are you saying that it's only okay with the vegetarians if the moose is f.o.r.d. (found on roadside dead)?

btw: what does moose taste like? Is it more like beef or like venison?

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Not sure about moose, but elk is not nearly as gamey tasting as venison.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

More like venison, perhpas a bit stronger flavour.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On 13 Nov 2003 19:30:38 -0800, half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) scribbled

No, I'm talking about moose humanely killed with a .30-06 or a .303. I think its a partly question of respecting and accepting First Nation traditions of sharing and of respecting animals, and seeing ourselves as part of nature. There's something sacred and wonderful about sharing wild meat. It also stems from disliking and opposing industrial animal raising methods for ecological and ethical reasons. It's getting late and I'm getting philosophical. You have to live here to understand.

I don't know how to answer that. It tastes like moose. The commercial venison and elk I've had recently had less flavour. It can be horribly gamey if the animal was killed in the middle of the rut and little care was taken in preventing the meat from coming into contact with the hair. Much better and more flavourful than beef, and equally tender on younger animals (2-3 years old). Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

If your venison tastes gamey, you're not handling the carcass properly.

Lots of guys think it's necessary to hang the carcass to "age" the meat. This is fine, IF you know what you're doing, AND have the right environment for it. Most people don't. I always get mine to a good butcher as fast as possible, and have *never* had gamey-tasting venison.

Doug Miller

okay, all the plonk-able posts aside, i am a vegetarian, and wouldnt really care about the hide glue, as long as you dont make me lick it...

irax.

Andy D> Anyone out there a vegetarian, or have veggie clients ? Any vegans ?

Reply to
Iraxl Enb

When I was still building houses I had a client who wanted a huge house built. It was going to be an interesting project and I was happy to be doing it.

The house had a very complex foundation system, owing to the requirements of the steep slopes on the site and the unusual outline of the building.

We completed the pours on a Friday afternoon and everyone went home in the happy expectation that we could begin the framing on Monday.

On Monday morning the client met me at the jobsite and told me that we would have to tear out or bury all of the freshly-poured foundation...

...because over the weekend, her Feng-Shui person had told her that the house was sited wrong.

Why don't they stay in California?

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

think of it as job security...

Reply to
Philip Lewis

As long as you are paid it is all good.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Two things:

- Demand immediate payment in full of all expenses to date, prior to any demolition occurring.

- Walk off the jobsite never to return.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Two things:

I told her I was a builder, not a therapist.

I got fired.

Third thing:

That was OK by me.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Fourth thing: Almost all these superstitious anal apertures have bales of money to waste. One has to wonder how they ever got them.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Probably inherited or by acting. One radio pundit has posited that, in general, most second and third generation millionaires never amount to much. Sounds like the above was one of those generations using up the hard work of the previous generation.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I understand what you were saying; I was just trying to make a funny. Yeah, I know; don't quit my day job.

Indubitably. That's kind of the same response I get to the following: Friend: "Mike, you want to try some of this fish I just cooked. Mike: "Does it taste fishy?" Friend: "What the f#@k do you think it tastes like?!?"

Cheers, Mike - spoiled by having a grandfather who raised beef cattle

Reply to
Mike