Vega Table Saw Fence, anyone own one?

I am looking at the vega UM50XXX table saw fence. The few comments i can find make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread.

I am looking to put it on my 8 year old Delta contractor saw. I don't do enough to justify a Unisaw but I want better results than I am getting (and easier setup) with the old stock fence. I looked at the Biesemeyer and the Unifence, but they seem like putting way too much money into a fairly enexpensive saw.

Reply to
Neil Larson

I use the Pro 50" Vega. Don't think for a second that Vega is any less in quality than a unifence or Bies. In fact, IMHO Vega's are the best. Mine is setting on a 30 yr old Rockwell TS and the fence is almost that old. Although i recently had to "straighten" the fence as it had a hard life before i bought it, it's still rock solid, operates smoothly, and is completely dependable. I've never been disappointed with it in any way and doubt you will be either. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Mine's on a Sears saw. Easy to install, works perfectly. Highly recommended.

Henry Bibb

Reply to
Henry Q. Bibb

On Sun 23 Jan 2005 12:54:34p, "Neil Larson" wrote in news:KpSId.8799$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

I've got the 50'' on my Griz 1022. Like it. A lot. The only drawback that bugs me is the rear rail. An outfeed tabe can't butt right up on the saw table because you need space for the fence to ride on the rail. The Biese rides on the table so that's not a problem.

And the scale isn't placed right so I can zero it on the saw, and it's not moveable, so I had to zero it at one-half inch when the fence is right on the blade, and adjust for exactly one-half inch extra when I set the fence.

Otherwise, I've got no complaints. I've had it a couple years, adjusted it when I installed it, adjusted it once since then. Still gives nice straight cuts. Cut a 1/4 strip, advance exactly 1/4 plus 1/8, cut another strip. It's great. Don't use the micro-advance much. It's just as easy to tap the fence a sixteenth or so.

By the way, I've heard of people finding scratch-n-dent Biesemeyer fences offered at the website. If I'd have known that when I bought this, I might have a Biese right now.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

(snip) And the scale isn't placed right so I can zero it on the saw, and it's

That's strange, all the Vega fences I've seen are adjusted simply by loosening the two screws that attach the indicator window to the fence, and lining it up on the zero. Do you have an oddball unit? --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

On Mon 24 Jan 2005 06:07:25a, "Dave Jackson" wrote in news:1y5Jd.5694$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Oddball for the saw, I guess. There's not enough movement in that indicator window to get all the way to zero. Closest I could come was a bit more than a quarter inch, if I recall correctly. I chose to zero it at a half an inch to make it easier. 10 and a quarter inches is 10 and 3/4, etc. It's a bit of a pain when I'm dealing with 16ths, but not terrible. Set it at the right measurment, then move it exactly one half inch more. It's still always right on the money.

I bought a new stick-on scale, and someday I'm gonna take replace this one with the new one. I guess it's a measure of how little it bothers me that I've had that new scale for about a year now and haven't bothered. :-)

Reply to
Dan

I have one on a old Craftsman and it works great. It was easy to install.

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

I second that. I vouch for mine.