Varnish or poly?

What is a quick test to tell if a finish is poly or varnish? Thank you.Tinker

Gerald Lamb

Gerald Lamb asks:

Poly is a varnish. But if it's hard as the devil to sand, then you've probably got polyurethane varnish, instead of a plain, ol' resin varnish.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

Varnish is poly and poly is varnish and varnish doesn't have a solvent. So if alcohol or lacquer thinner doesn't soften it chances are it is either a varnish or some sort of catalyzed finish.

Reply to
Mike G

Gerald, I thought poly IS a varnish...

dave

Gerald Lamb wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Gerald Lamb

You are half wrong:

"Poly is varnish" is correct - polyurethane is one of many different types of varnish.

"Varnish is poly" is wrong. see above.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

polyurethane wood finishes are a *subset* of varnishes.... as is the stuff that builds up in the float bowl of a carburetor.....

Reply to
Bridger

yes; same as "all Chevys are cars, but not all cars are Chevys"...

You go, Chris! :)

dave

Chris Merrill wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

My Chevy is a Truck, not some damn wimpy car.(leaving a wide exception for muscle cars, both past and present)

Reply to
KS

OK. How about all squares are rectangles. Not all rectangles are squares. Shouldn't be any emotion invested in that.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

you got me! I'll rephrase it: "all Chevys are VEHICLES, but not all VEHICLES are Chevys".

BTW, I'm an F-150 guy. Does that mean we need to arm wrestle??

dave

KS wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

There ya go!

Reply to
KS

Nah, my previous truck was a F-150. I've never been too much into the Ford vs. Chevy thing. Both have their good and bad points. Now if you would of said that your a Ford Escort kinda guy, well... :-)

Reply to
KS

Chevy Chase ain't. . .

-- SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
SwampBug

I was a mechanic for 16 years. No self respecting mechanic would own an Escort, or a Pinto, or a Vega. I DID have 2 Chevys. Never again! :)

dave

KS wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I still turn a wrench for a living, although not in the consumer automotive field. I've jokingly said the same thing about my Ford, but realistically cannot say never. I just wish that the engineers that design these things would have to actually work on what they design at least once. Some of the crap they come up with is just ridiculous.

Reply to
KS

They're all WUSSY.

My truck is a Peterbilt.

Reply to
Silvan

Aha! you're an _old_ trucker, aren't you??

"Old truckers never die, they just get a new ..."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

rectangular, he's more pear shaped ;)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

I use Flecto-Varithane's "Natural Oil" which is sorta in both camps I guess. It's the darn best stuff I've ever found for Golden Oak and refinish. If the finish gets damaged, it's so simple to repair. A bit of light sanding, and a wipe or two of the oil and it's done.

I've used this stuff by polishing the wood first with 600, then stain...then polish again *very lightly* just to get any roughness out. Then a coat of the oil, on the heavy side with a brush and when oil soaks in I wipe it and let harden for a day or so. Polish with 600 again, tack, and WIPE on a thin coat with paper towels. Let harden and polish again with 600 and tack, then another think coat with paper towel...and when you get to that 4-5 coat, it gets this depth and after that, it's personal taste...if you want to go further. At the end, I hit it with 600 lightly and wax.

This stuff looks to me sorta like old varnish, but is a poly too.

Reply to
Bob Brogan