Variation on the standard "Square Prooving" question

Greetings,

Have been reading Siegele's "Steel Square", Townsend, et. al. and assorted related texts. Know the standard test for a "true" square and the usual way of making it true if it's not (i.e. drift and hammer and patience and prudence.

The square I am concerned with has a variation on the standard "out of true-ness" tho - in short, the tongue is warped. As I hold the body vertically in front of me, the tongue pointing away from me, I can see the tongue starts out straight enough, but bows to the left and then back to the right again. How do I correct this ? Put it in a vise for a while ? or what?

Thanks

Reply to
NFrames

It is intended to be a square in two dimensions, rather than three.

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

Tom Watson wrote >

Be that as it may, the lack of "true-ness" in the one dimension, is affecting the lack of truness in the significant one. Can anyone suggest an effective way to flatten this square? Being steel, it is rather thin and so acts very much like a spring....

Thanks again

Reply to
NFrames