Variac as router speed control?

I've got a hunch this is probably a bad idea. I bought a Milwaukee 5615 fixed speed router and I need to swing a

3/4" roundover bit (~18,000 rpm, according to Jesada). I'm wondering if I should return this fixed version for the variable speed unit, or if a 2kw variac will do the job? Dave
Reply to
Interious

You don't want to go there.

I could give you a long explaniation why, but it's late and I'm tired. Sorry.

What I suggest is you consider something like a table mounted PC 7518.

A 3/4" rounding over bit is nothing to fool around with in a hand held router, IMHO.

You are probably going to have to probably make multiple passes anyway, so a table makes it a lot easier and safer.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

While a variac is great for fan motors, especially if you go three phase, it's not a good idea on cutting tools. Go for the variable speed unit, it will anyway be cheaper then the variac.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

The 5616, the 2.25 HP VS bigger brother of the 5615 (I own both) is barely adequate for thr 3/4" r bit... depending on material. The variac does nothing for 'speed' as such, it just makes it weak, which is fine for a light bulb. You will seriously affect the 5615's ability to cool itself as well.

Reply to
Robatoy

I kind of figured purpose designed speed controls essentially act like an intelligent constant current source. I thought I would ask about the variac anyway just to rule the option out with certainty.

I think I'm going to get the 5625-20 and put it in a table for this job. My experience is with a wimpy old craftsmen router and small bits. Lots of learning to do.

By the way--I bought a Bosch 3/4" roundover bit at Lowes. Should I return it for a Whiteside, CMT, etc.? MDF is the current medium.

Thanks to all for interesting responses. Dave

Reply to
Interious

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Wilson, It's a long time since I've studied current and voltage source theory. I completely take your word for it. Makes sense. Dave

Reply to
Interious

I have two Variacs... I wonder what they're worth. I was thinking of selling them on Ebay, I got them from an estate sale (an electro-chemical engineer's estate) Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta