Variable speed router setting

So I just got that nifty Freud router for $100 from Woodcraft. Pleased am I, but am looking for suggestions on settings for the variable speed. My PC runs at about 25K, so my instinct is to run the Freud full bore for my typical uses with small diameter bits. I'm guessing, however, that there are uses for the lower speed settings when one is using a wider diameter bit. Correct?
Larry
TD Driver wrote:

Basically just keep cutting tip speed about constant which implies rpm inversely proportional to cutting diameter.
May on occasion find it pays to slow it down on softer woods to minimize burning if can't keep up high-enough feed rate (following complex shape, say).
TD Driver wrote:

See the speed chart at: http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I got a speed chart at a woodworking show from a company called Woodline. The table below has the width of the bit in the first column and max RPM in the second column. By width is meant a measurement from the tip of one cutting edge to the other:
up to 3/4" 22,000 RPM up to 1" 18,000 1.5" 16,000 2" 15,000 3" 12,000 over 3" 10,000 RPM or less

I usually just set mine by ear. I leave it near high speed for most bits and back it down with bigger bits. I may be doing it wrong but seems to me I can adjust to the right speed by listening to it.

Ditto - My bosch 1617 router speed setting are A thru F, so all the charts in the world won't help. Unless someone knows how to convert each letter to an RPM?
Mitch
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

According to the on-line user manual for the 1617EVS at:
http://bosch.cpotools.com/static/manual/www.cpotools.com-1617.pdf
The speed control should be marked 1-6 with:
1 = 8,000 RPM 2 = 13,500 RPM 3 = 16,500 RPM 4 = 20,000 RPM 5 = 21,500 RPM 6 = 25,000 RPM
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA