Variable speed ROS?

I am thinking about buying a PC tool for $150 and they have a $25 discount at $200. I can always use another ROS. Amazon no longer carries the 333, only the 333VS. Is there any advantage to a variable speed sander or is it just a gimmick? (The Fein multimasteris variable speed, but the instructions say to use the highest speed for everything.)

Reply to
toller

Just to be clear here, you do realize that the PC 333vr can be had for $80. right?

Anyway I do not know if the VS on this particular model would be much of an advantage. I have been using a 7335 style 5" right angle PC ROS for about

15 years. It is a single speed and is rather aggressive. There are times that I wished that I could slow down the sanding speed when finesse would be preferred over speed.
Reply to
Leon

I have two variable speed and two single speed sanders and use one sped for everything from wood to metal. max

Reply to
max

Yeh, the PC dovetail jig is $150, so I need another $50 to get the $25 credit. Amazon has the 333VS for $74; I wanted a 333 for $54, but they no longer carry it.

Reply to
toller

I've got the 333vs and find I use the variable function quite often particularly when I want to go at it slowly. It's nice to be able to crank it up for the rough work and slow it down for the finesse work. My only complaint with the sander is the little dust collector. Doesn't stay on at all although I think they re-designed it since I bought mine (3 years ago). Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Ditto.

I have the Makita VS unit.

Power sanding between coats of finish would just not be possible at full speed, too agressive.

Also good for releiving and edge with extra control.

I'm glad that I spent the extra $30 for VS. It's nice; I use it;but it's not really a *must-have* feature.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

For what it's worth, I own two (don't ask) Grizzly G9910 variable speeed ORBITAL (not true ROS) sander. Variable speed up to 10,000 rpm. I find the variable speed control to be very helpful because I use it for shaping and light sculpting. At high speed, with 80 grit, it removes wood quickly (maybe a little too quickly at times) and the lower speeds allow some needed finesse.

BTW it retails for around $30.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Besides the other posts, VS speed allows you to use pads for waxing and buffing.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

I have the PC 333 and it works fine. I don't have variable speed on my palm sander either. But I find the variable speed on my belt sander very useful because it is so aggressive.

Reply to
Phisherman

Had a Dewalt VS ROS. Also a fixed speed. The variable controller went out of the VS. Hard wired around it. Haven't missed it.

bob g.

toller wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway