variable spacing schemes for dovetails

Hi guys;

I'm building some dovetailed jewelry/treasure/keepsake boxes for Christmas, and I want to vary the size and spacing of the dovetails for a bit more dramatic effect than the usual constant size-spaced dovetails. (I'm using a Leigh D-4). But the spacing schemes I've come up with so far just don't seem to look right.

Anybody have any suggestions? Is there a "rule" for variable spacing analogous to the "golden rectangle" for box dimensions? Any soures for inspiration (i.e. pics)?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

| I'm building some dovetailed jewelry/treasure/keepsake boxes for | Christmas, and I want to vary the size and spacing of the dovetails | for a bit more dramatic effect than the usual constant size-spaced | dovetails. (I'm using a Leigh D-4). But the spacing schemes I've | come up with so far just don't seem to look right. | | Anybody have any suggestions? Is there a "rule" for variable | spacing analogous to the "golden rectangle" for box dimensions? | Any soures for inspiration (i.e. pics)?

Hmm. I don't know how inspiring they might be; but I have a few pictures that might help get the juices flowing...

At

(top of page) is a photo of a

3-dovetail arrangement that I like. They're equally spaced and same-sized, but used in a way that tries to not overdo the dovetail construction.

At

are drawings and a pair of photos of some through-tenon alternatives to dovetails for a bit more drama. For these, you might need to make your own templates.

I've been tempted several times to try sliding dovetails for box joinery. You'd probably need to track down an unusually small dovetail bit; but I think they're available. The dovetail would only be visible at the top and bottom of the corner, but I think the "wow" factor would be fairly high.

HTH

Morris Dovey