Vaneer plywood

Hello, I am making a bookcase for a class and the buildup calls for 2 sided veneer ply, but all I can find in the species I'm using is B1. Will that be good enough? Or should I go with a contrasting species. I'm using quarter sawn white oak for the legs and streachers and shelf faces. Would red oak be a weird contrast, I know it is more readily available?

Hi, I dont like to mix red oak and white oak.. It can be done but it is much harder to the get stain evenly matched. I would consider B1 , usint the good side as face for my project....
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com

Most people can't tell the difference between oak and ash or for that matter rubberwood. But if it's your project every imperfection stands out like a seed stuck between your teeth being felt by your tongue.
He can eliminate problems with staining by not staining, either leaving the wood natural or toning, that is, using a colored film finish.
Would it not also be possible, though more expensive, to buy twice as many sheets of plywood, each half the thickness called for, and then laminate them to make his own 2-sided veneer plywood?
--
FF

Yes Red Oak would contrast, in color mostly if you are going with a clear finish. How thick does the plywood need to be? Could you put 2 thinner pieces back to back?
On 4/23/08 12:07 PM, in article Z8JPj.9546$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com,

oak would be a bad idea considering my front legs and rear legs came from two different pieces and already are a pretty serious differences in tone (didn't pay enough attention when buying the stock). It would be tri-colored. And for finishing I am planning on just wipe on poly (if that helps). I'll probably be stuck spending 2x the amount for the white oak unless anyone else could give a second opinion on ash?
And what does the "1" stand for in the grade anyway? I know B means there will be small (what does small mean in ply? :)) patches.

Yeah, needing 1/4 in ch would be tough with 2 pieces although 1/8" is available but not widely or commonly available in any particular species.
Something else to consider, it is often much better to use 2 complementary color woods than try to match and "just miss it" An obvious contrast looks intentional. A close but missed combination always looks "close but missed".
For instance, Walnut goes will with Oak, or Cherry and Oak. The stark change/contrast would help to draw one's eye away from the front and back legs that are of slightly different color.

IIRC "1" side. BC for instance would be both sides are the same species but one side is a grade better than the other. B1 would be a B grade of the species that you spedified on 1 side.
Leon wrote:

Hardwood plywood with an ANSI grading number of 1 or 2:
Provide sound surfaces with all openings in the veneer repaired, except for vertical worm holes not larger than 1/16".
See:
http://justwoodworking.com/charts/hardwood_plywood.php
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wrote in message

Thank you Jack
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:58:34 -0400, Daniel Shryock

Maybe this link will help
http://justwoodworking.com/charts/hardwood_plywood.php

The grain of flat sawn oak (which is typical of the face veneer of plywood) will contrast with quartersawn oak. The color of oaks vary a lot within red oak or white oak so you would really have to look at the pieces before deciding if they clash with the plywood in color.
--
FF

Thanks for all the info guys! Appreciate it much. Just not trying to screw up a piece I've already got so much money into :P
On 4/23/08 5:59 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com, "Fred the