Value of some old Planes

I could go to this auction. (the first one, listed for tomorrow) Wondering if any of the woodworking tools is of any extreme value, that i should look out for.

Steve Barker

Extreme value?

I don't know about extreme value.

The Stanley router plane looks in good shape don't know the price There is a block plane third over from the left in pic of block planes. Looks like a knuckle plane, if it's in good shape it would be a good buy at under 30. I paid $8 for 3 planes at a garage sale. (GLOAT)

There appears to be a lie nielsen back saw in the mix. See back saws with brass back.

Looks like a Veritas bevel gauge.. Also some Shinwa bevel Gauges, near the bench pups

Shopfox mortising machine.

That Ryobi spindle sander if it can be had for $25 would be a great deal. BTW Home Depot had it on sale for $69 before they stopped carrying it. So that should help gauge pricing.

The hand planes are tough to gauge without picking them up and looking at them. Seems like there are some nice planes there. I see at the back of the smoothers some that look in good shape. But hard to tell.

Do you need a jack, or jointer?

Reply to
tiredofspam

and the disk/belt sander (419) and the shop fox at (300). I'll be looking to bid on all three of these for less than half (or so). just wanted to make sure that one of those planes were not worth a million or something. I don't collect or use planes, so it would be solely for resale if i bought one.

thanks again

Steve Barker

You don't use planes? How do you trim something down? What do you do when it's too small for a machine? When you only need to take off a little? Or when the board or top is way to big for a machine?

Mach> >> Extreme value?

Reply to
tiredofspam

ACTUALLY, i must re-qualify that statement. My woodworking endeavors are in their infancy. I recently DID buy a new inexpensive plane, as i had to custom fit an old door into a house it didn't come out of. I marveled at how easy it actually did the job. I hadn't been around a plane since i was a kid and saw the grandparent generation use them. (I'm 54 now). I probably will end up using them obviously if i continue this hobby. Right now, my projects include a simple bench for my wife's sewing table, and i just finished creating and installing 11 stair treads that i created by jointing red oak that i power planed from the rough. I'm quite impressed with my work on these. I'll probably buy a few of the ones you all mentioned, as long as the crowd doesn't think they are gold.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I got about a dozen real nice ones from an old friend who just got too old. I thought I had a big score, then looked on ebay. Most are worth less than $10. But still better at $10 at a yard sale than for what you get for what you pay nowadays. Still, there are some "home runs" out there. I'd just study up on ebay and make a pocket list, or take the laptop with the cell or satellite converter so you can look them up. A "home run" is scoring a valuable item cheap.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B