Vacuum veneer pump

Page 1 of 3

I have some veneer projects in the queue that will need the services of a vacuum pump. I'm not really interesting in building one. What are some mfgs to look at. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
On Tue, 09 May 2006 07:16:41 -0700, jj wrote:

http://www.vacuum-press.com / http://www.vacupress.com / http://www.vac-u-clamp.com /
--
Art

Art Greenberg wrote:

dives myself mostly in and around Puget Sound. Give me a ping at (remove spaces and reconstruct -- damn spam)
s c u b a . j o h n AT c om c a s t . c o m
On Wed, 10 May 2006 09:49:43 -0700, jj wrote:

Tried and bounced. Try sending me a note at snipped-for-privacy@eclipseeclipse.net. Only one eclipse.
--
Art

longer use. I picked up two for $20.
Dave
Thank you for much for the info.
jj

www.joewoodworker.com
The cheaper version : http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidR00 or http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidP86
jj wrote:

On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:51:15 GMT, Pat Barber wrote:

The electric one looks OK, and its a good price. A couple of things I think you give up, relative to the costlier systems, are (1) the pump runs continuously, and that noise might be a concern; (2) it is a small pump, and it will take a long time to pump down a large bag & fixture.
I wouldn't take the hand-operatoed version seriously for anything other than simple veneering of small work using PVA glue. Aside from the obvious difficulty pumping down a larger bag & fixture, the fact is that no system is entirely leak-free, so an application using a slow setting adhesive would mean you have to periodically pump down the bag.
I built my system using parts purchased from joewoodworker.com, and have a system with decent capacity (a 4x8 bag and large bending form is no problem) using a regulated pump for about the cost of the pump & bag from Woodcraft. The OP didn't say what his application is, but he did say that he didn't want to build.
--
Art

Are you using the ventura system that runs off of a compressor?
On Tue, 09 May 2006 20:54:26 GMT, Leon wrote:

No, I'm using a vacuum pump. Photo of the assembled unit at
http://www.artg.tv/images/vacuum-pump-3.jpg
--
Art

I have to disagree with this, at least related to some vacuum bags. My SO has that vacuum storage system you see on the Home Shopping network. http://www.comforthouse.com/spacebag.html She has a couple that have stayed fully 'vacuum packed' for over two years. Some leak some don't.
On Tue, 09 May 2006 13:56:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Hardly the same amount of vacuum used in a press. Much easier to keep a seal.
--
Art

Really?
The pressure developed by the vacuum bag is the result of creating a pressure differential between the inside and outside of the bag.
The pressure outside the bag is ~14.7 lb/in^2 (psi) at standard temperature at sea level. The absolute maximum pressure the bag can develop is 14.7 psi regardless of how good the vacuum is inside the bag. Sucking harder can't make it better.
So if you have a partial vacuum that leaves a residual pressure inside the bag of 0.1 psi is this really a big deal? Is the veneer going to lay flatter with an additional 0.1 psi?
And is it really that much easier to keep the bag sealed against a differential of 14.6 psi than it is 14.65 psi?
On Tue, 09 May 2006 15:00:49 -0700, Wes Stewart wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood. My point is that the common storage bags, emptied by a household vacuum cleaner, do not achieve the level of vacuum as is employed in a veneer press (by at least a factor of 2 or 3), and at the lower inside/outside differential, it is easier to maintain that partial vacuum.
--
Art

snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Seems to me, that she really *is* into all things vacuum, hence her relationship with you.

It pretty easy to see why the group has gone for a complete shit.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

Yea, right. Now you're trying to take the high road. Fat chance, fuckwit.

Of course, the real irony is if the rec has gone to shit, he's one of the contributors to it being so.

Great post. How perfectly clueless.