vacuum pump, need help

As I've posted before, I'm trying to get into veneering on the cheap. A friend who does carbon fiber work gave me a Cole Parmer vacuum pump mod. 7530 "Air Cadet". The problem is that the small diaphram-type one-way valves in the pump head have gone bad. CP wants $50 for a new pump head. Does anyone know where I can find *inexpensive* in-line one-way check valves? I've done an internet search and made a boat-load of calls and have not found any that would work. Your help is greatly appreciated
"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote:

Look for "joker" AKA: "mechanical ass hole" valves.
They will be made of some kind of rubber.
Lew

Do you know about or have you looked at www.Joewoodworker.com ? He has a lot of veneer information and do it your self gear.

fish tank's use check valves in air lines. perhaps something in that area?
Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

I do not have an idea of what it cost but check out the website
http://www.coleparmer.com
The are a long standing lab supply company so they may have the parts you are looing for
You may all so do a google search. As I said cole parmer is a lab supply house and parts may be available through other laboratory type companies.
--
Keith Nuttle
3110 Marquette Court

Or just use a good vacuum cleaner. Lots of aircraft builders vacuum bag composites that way, and guys build laminated veneer surfboards and skateboards with vacuum cleaners too.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:17:32 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good way to burn out a vacuum cleaner motor.

Lots of dead vacuum cleaners.
Vacuum cleaner motors are designed to be air-cooled. If you run them into a vaccum, they overheat. Now you _might_ get an adequate vacuum from this initially, you might even have few enough leaks that if you cap it off then the clamping pressure will remain adequate until the glue sets. However it's a hack and a bodge at best.
My best vac pump, genuine lab surplus, cost 25. For that little money, why bodge?
Andy Dingley wrote:

Well, my Sears vacuum has a separate fan for the motor, so perhaps you should not generalize.
--John
If you can't find anything by the end of march, write me. I have a hanfull of little grey plastic valves that should work for you and you can have them for $1 each. If you have an air compressor, I believe HFT sells some sort of vacumn device that works off an air line.
I would think that, if you could produce a vacum and had the right chck valves, you would not need to run the VC constantly and could avoid the over heating mentioned.
PS, some nice links offered up on this thread. Thanks. Such are the sort of "benefits" one hopes to find on such a list.
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:40:02 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Notice the use of "bodge". Sounds like a UK guy - must be those lucas vacuum cleaners.

The only thing that Lucas makes that doesn't suck.
--John
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:27:06 +0000, Andy Dingley

Depends on the vacuum cleaner. Note I said a GOOD vacuum cleaner. GOOD vacuum cleaners have bypass cooling. Ametek Lamb motors are an example. NONE of the cooling air goes through the vacuum, and NONE of the vacuum air goes through the motor. Of all their motors, only a very few (like the 119997 ) suck air through the motor. The guys I know using them have not burned them out.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:26:01 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

My Ametek Lamb powered HVLP rig uses a non-bleed spray gun by design. I don't see a huge difference between shutting off the air on my gun, and pulling a vacuum.

Check out Bill Noble, he's the king of used vac stuff and great ideas/info.. http://www.wbnoble.com /
He fixed me up a few years ago with pump and accessories to build my vacuum chuck system for the lathe.. Nice guy and very knowledgeable..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

So, pay them. The reason those valves are in the pump head is that the compression ratio of the pump depends critically on the valves being close to the cylinder. If you put the valve on a pipe, the ultimate vacuum that the pump pulls is compromised.

Pay them with what? I'm not know for my good looks. The reason I posted asking for help is that I *have* no money or else I would just have bought the parts.