Vacuum cleaner question

I'm seeking some help and guidance in a soon to happen purchase...

I'd like to upgrade my vacuum cleaner mostly because my not so old "ShopVac" doesn't seem to hold up to what I make it swallow... I've burned 2 in the past year so I'm fed up of those cheap vacuums. They burn even though I buy the "especially designed" bags and filters and even though I change/wash them often.

Here's what I need: I do woodworking so I need a vacuum cleaner to hook up to the small portable tools (I have a DC but it's hook up to the tablesaw, planner and jointer). The problem is I do occasional home improvement projects and I need to pick up the fine dust left after sending a gypsum board wall or just the regular dust that can be extremelly small. Obviously, this dust enventually ends up in the motor and burns it.

I want something durable and that will last. Money is the least of my concerns, I just don't want to have the feeling I'm buying something that will break a few months later. Is there a vacuum cleaner out there that works and performs like a Milwaukee Sawzall?

I've read some other things about stages (some have 1, 2 or 3)... What's the advantage/disadvantages?

Thank you to who ever wants to shed some light on this dusty subject!

Wally

Reply to
Wally

get one of the Feins, and order a 1 micron filter too.

dave

Wally wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Wally wrote in news:0gkk30p17l94rchlbjftp594d6p7bevsho@

4ax.com:

Wally;

Speaking slightly off-topic this is what I did in my shop.

I was using a 4 hp (?) Sears shop vac (SV) with 2-1/2" hose but it was unsuitable for my planer and recently-bought jointer. I needed something to roll around the shop and connect to these latter 2 tools as well as the table saw, ros sanders and router table fence(2-1/2" conn.). I bought, on sale, a Delta 50-660 3/4 hp DC for $200 CAN. It's more powerful (more air) and quieter than the SV and captures more dust than the former. When I need to connect to the 2-1/2" conn. tools, I connect my SV hose to a 4>2-1/2" reducer-adapter on the DC hose. It definitely met my needs in my garage shop. It collects the heavier material in the rolling bin and the fines in a large external bag filter.

I would not want to wheel it around the house and don't think it would be suitable to do so, however when kept in the workshop it works well. For the house (shop) dust I guess I would use my SV that now sits idle in the garage or I might use the DC in a single room under construction where it was relatively stationary and I could reach the room perimeter with the SV hose.

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC

[snip]

There sure is.

Get one of these:

(Electrolux Automatic G canister vac)

My parents bought one new in about 1961. They gave it to me fifteen years ago because they thought it was worn out. Ten bucks' worth of new bearings and brushes, and it was as good as new. I'm still using it. Runs like a champ, no matter what I vacuum up with it. Including drywall dust.

Doug Miller

Festo CT22,I have had mine for four years now and I use it for all sanding and fine dust.Bags are expensive but they are 22lt but it does the job,doesnt let dust through and they give you a long garantee Russell

Reply to
Russell

Have you thought about upgrading your shop vac's filter? I've an older Sears vac that would pass way too much drywall dust into the air. It has lots of suction, just poor filters. I upgraded to a CleanStream replacement filter, about $39 IIRC. That really improved the collection of the fine dust without decreasing the suction. The CleanStream filter is made of a gore-tex type of material, is easily cleaned and works with wet pickups also. They are sold by a number of places, but mine came from Eagle America, the router bit folks. BTW, this old Sears has a separate fan for cooling the motor. The vacuum exhaust is separate.

good luck

Reply to
dustin pockets

I like my porter cable vac.