VA Moulder Head

I have a De Walt DW1501 Radial arm saw with a "Vermont American" moulder head attachment - this saw must be about 20yrs old so I am struggling for bits - what I am looking for is a "rail and Stile" moulder bit and a "panal raising" moulder bit to fit this VA moulder head - it is an old type with "one fixing screw" per blade and there are three on the moulder head.- If anyone knows if they are still stocked or know of an outlet I would be gratefull.
Dave
superx wrote:

I don't specific outlet, but that doesn't sound like a particularly unusual cutter design. Many moulding heads had a single set screw and three cutters. I've not used mine in ages as the speed of the saw isn't as high as the shaper so it isn't as good a cut and so I don't have a current place I've been using to suggest... :(
Where and how have you looked? Maybe knowing that would spur some other ideas.

Sears used to sell a single-cutter molding head; not sure if they still do, or if their cutters would fit your moulding head, but it's worth a shot.
Also, check eBay. Stuff like that comes up frequently.
Finally, if you can't find what you want, Sears still sells their triple-cutter moulding head, and you could always get one of those with the appropriate cutter sets - then sell your old moulding head and cutters on eBay to recover some of your cost. :-)
Doug Miller wrote:

I have one and it was made by VA

I suspected that but wasn't sure, so I didn't say.
I have my dad's Craftsman molding cutter that matches your description. Last time I looked (OK, it was probably a year or two ago) the local Sears still had some blades for it in the store. Who knows, it could even be the same cutterhead, with different labels painted on.
-j