Utility Knife

Page 2 of 4

The most dangerous tool in the box is a "Bloody Mary." That is a utility knife that uses a double edge carpet blade. The blade stays out because it is meant to. You can set it to stay out at an adjustable distance so that you can cut carpet to a specific depth. I have seen more injuries with those, and they are always very bloody.
Just MHO from hours and hours and hours of laying carpet for conventions.
Steve
Snip

I have switched after trying all the single blade knives to the "break off the end to renew the tip style utility knife". It has a slide button for positioning the blade that also locks the blade in place when you quit pushing or pulling. Best utility knife I have ever owned. Blades are cheap considering that you renew each blade 8 to 10 times and changing blades is a 10 second job.
Leon wrote:

I use the same type. Mine is an Olfa with the rubber back for a bit more grip.
If you're really cheap (or have run out of blades) you can re-hone the blades a couple times.
Chris

handy for cutting Styrofoam or insulation batts. I couldn't live without my Olfa. I buy the big case of blades and they do me a year.

LeGrande O'range sells a very similar (same?) knife under their HUSKY brand. I've had one for a couple of years now. It's bulkier than most and the blade in use has a bad habit of releasing itself when the cut encounters enough resistance. Like you, I'm searching for the ultimate utility knife.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

I probably have a half dozen at various places in my shop. I probably actually own twice that many but don't know where they are. I am inclinded to go the simple route. My utility knife that can open for blade changes w/o a screwdrive doesn't really hold the blade too well. The one that holds best is the cheapes but doesn't retract. Has anyone trided the folding variety? I have one. The folding mechanisim is a bit stiff. If I could open it one handed like my Spyderco pocket knife it would certainly be a winner. here is one brand http://www.superknife.com/ mine is a husky from the orange store. The super knife may be even better.
No wrote:

Yep, I've had one for over a year. Best razor knife that I've ever had. Can't go back to a regular razor knife now.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:40:41 +0100, No wrote:

I got mad the other day when I couldn't find my utility knife so I popped down to the local borg and bout several knives. My favorite is currently a sheffield folding knife, but I also got a husky folding knife with built in blade storage that seems nice. I also found a mini sheffield folding knife and some mini blades that is great as my everyday letter and box opener. I still have (somewhere) a stanley utility that I've used for years, but now I've got a knife everywhere. The office, the shop, my shop apron, the electronics toolbox etc. etc. Thank goodness the wife and kids have no interest in tools and leave my stuff alone or I'd have to buy even more knives.
D.G. Adams
dgadams wrote:

http://www.lenoxsaw.com/utility.htm It is by far the best utility knife I have used. I rarely have a blade slip out of the tip. The only downside is that you have to use Lennox blades to be most effective

Got 5 free blades (plus a lot of spam) from Irvin and tried the first one today. Really good! Very sharp, bends but does not break and seems to retain an edge pretty well. Don't know what they cost in comparison to others, but I'll look for them the next time I need blades.
Keep a folder in my pocket at all times. Use mainly at work. With 3000 square feet of shop, if it wasn't in my pocket I would never find it.
Has anyone trided the folding variety? I

Does it use standard blades?
RicodJour wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

Oooh! You munged the URL, you URL-munger! ;)

Yep. I use hook blades frequently. I bought two of the Lawson's so I can have one loaded with each type of blade.
It's a funny thing about the weight of it. In general one would think that lighter would be better. Then you pick up a nice tool with some heft to it, and it just feels better in the hand.

I feel that way every time I take a whiz. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh come ON!.. SOMEbody had to say that!

And then you woke up.

Woke up at deli from a daydream holding knockwurst...

LMAO

Mac
The only one worth a damn IMO. Dangerous as hell because of the long blade but strong like ox and always sharp. I have used the same one for a couple decades now. I even have 6 stitches in my thumb from it . My only serious work related injury.
http://www.danielsmith.com/catalog/products/?T1 2010008
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:14:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@the.raunch wrote:

I should add mine has a straight handle which is good because I'm left handed. This new curved handle model would suck as it puts the rubber side of the knife on the wrong side of your hand. I had to modify the slider blade holding thingy on mines so I could put my blades in backwards. It serves me well.