Using stainless all thread in large cutting board?

Page 3 of 3
On 12/10/2015 8:55 AM, Leon wrote:

I did inquire about buying from their site, I'll see where that goes.

I've done this test with Elmers wood glue, and the glue is stronger than the wood, just like people say.
When I built my shop, my very first project was a workbench. I wanted a butcher block top, so I got 2x4's, ripped them in half, and edge glued them into a 7' x 30" top. I used all-threads and 1/4" splines to make sure it wouldn't split in half. Talk about over kill. I quickly learned via reading and testing myself that glue really is stronger than wood, and as long as you get a decent glue joint, you will not have a problem edge gluing wood w/o anything other than glue. The workbench and top are still in my shop after around 40 plus years of extreme abuse.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/BenchBack.jpg
As far as glue failing, I've never had a problem with glue failing, it just doesn't seem to happen with todays glue. On the other hand, I've only been building stuff for 60 years, so nothing I've made has been around long enough to be certain.
An example of how amazing standard Elmers yellow glue is, and I guess about any wood glue made, is this plumbers case I threw together. This case has at least 50 pounds of fitting and tools in it, and all it is is a box with 1/4" hardboard glued to the case. I really didn't expect to to work, but I made it about 15 years ago, and made a few others as well, and it continues to amaze me. Glue is far stronger than I imagined.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/PlumbingCase.JPG
While I'm at it, here is the bread board I made around 40 years ago using Elmers yellow glue, that I still use every day.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/BreadBoard1.jpg
--
Jack
On 12/10/2015 9:56 AM, Jack wrote:

That there is a cool box.....hummmmm

On 12/10/2015 12:17 PM, Leon wrote:

Glue is far stronger than I

Thanks. I got tired of emptying out a large coffee can of copper fittings looking for something I was always one short of needing. This makes that a breeze, and keeps everything in one place. Still, if I need 4 els, I usually have 3, but I know right away:-)
Here's another I made for pipe fittings and Pipe threader/dies. I think this is the first one I made and it is really heavy. Still amazes me the glue holds that well.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/PipeBox1.JPG
http://jbstein.com/Flick/PipeBox2.JPG
http://jbstein.com/Flick/PipeBox3.JPG
--
Jack

It would be interesting to try a bottle. Had to wonder though about this in the "How to use" section: Shake well before using.
I usually use Elmer's carpenter's glue or Tightbond polyurethane (similar to Gorilla Glue). I don't think shaking either of them would do more than providing about 30 seconds of mild exercise to my forearm. How thin is this stuff?
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska