Using sawdust for epoxy fairing material

I am thinking of using West System Epoxy to fill gaps and add a little height to the wood beam that also serves as the top step to my basement bulkhead.
I was thinking of using some fine sawdust (I have several bags of fine Ipe sawdust leftover from sanding my porch) as a fairing material both to make it easier to sand and to give it more of a look/texture of wood (I will be painting over the sides and either staining the top to match the decking or leaving it unfinished).
Couple of questions: - Will (fine) sawdust perform well as a fairing material? - If so what is the "right" amount to add? My understand is that the more you add, the more it will look and machine like wood but at the expense of less strength than pure epoxy.
Thanks

You can use almost anything as a filler in epoxy. Sawdust will work fine and will probably be the easiest all things considerd. Silica (basically sand) is a common filler and might be a good idea for adding traction and durability to a wear surface such as your step, but it's not going to be workable after the fact.
For boat building, we normally use 'peanut butter' consistency for filler
Rich

"blueman" wrote:

Using sawdust as a filler for epoxy represents a total waste of good epoxy.
Micro-balloons are dirt cheap.
Talk to the tech folks at West.
Lew

How do you guys blow up those little balloons?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
:> :> Using sawdust as a filler for epoxy represents a total waste of good :> epoxy. :> :> Micro-balloons are dirt cheap. :>
: How do you guys blow up those little balloons?
micro-compressors yuk, yuk, yuk

Would you still say that if it were for purely aesthetic reasons, such as crack-filling in semi-naturalistic work?
...and how _do_ they blow up those tiny balloons, so cheaply?
"Andy Dingley" wrote:

Probably.
Last time I bought a 30 lb(4 cubic ft) bag of micro-balloons, it was less than $25 which was just after a 20% price increase the month previous.
I just don't worry about it.
Lew
Lew, That is your source for those microballoons? That's a very good price that i have been unable to find.
Thanks, Pat Smith PS: My first post, here!

"spincircles" wrote:

Do a Google for "Dicaperl" and "HP500".
Dicaperl is the mineral brand, HP500 is the grade.
Strictly an industrial item, but should be able to buy a bag on a cash basis.
Lew

No one has said as much yet but I think the relevant point here is that 'micro' sands much more easily than any other filler material.
Because the spheres are hollow, much of the material being removed is air.
--
FF