Using sawdust as fuel

I'd stay away from Duraflame, putting one of those in a fireplace is like calling in an airstrike with napalm, I can smell those when anyone in the neighborhood is burning them, like a chemical spill. The best compressed-sawdust fireplace logs I found were sold under the name "Hi Energy" and didn't seem to have the wax or chemicals or whatever it is Duraflame saturates their logs with.

It should be possible to make your own compressed sawdust logs using say a

3" or 4" pipe and some sort of ram, it's just a question of the value you put on the time you'll use to do so.

course if you're a coffee drinker than you can get really creative. ;^)

DGDevin

organic except bones and scrap meat. Less time wasted, IMO.

It does pay to keep walnut chips and sawdust out of the compost, but otherwise, we've had no problems. I did find that a separate pile of walnut waste starts allowing plants to grow after about 5 or 6 years.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I have in the past, when I had more sawdust than fire logs, filled paper bags with sawdust and added them one at a time to a burning fire. The paper bag burns away and the sawdust slowly ignites and burns down. No mess no problems. Just keep the bags small enough that you don't overload the fire or smother the existing fire.

Reply to
EXT