Using sawdust as fuel

Page 2 of 2

It is actually the lignin in the wood that does the binding. The problem at home is getting up the pressure needed to make it stick together for it to work.
I wonder if you can spread it on newspaper and roll a log? I've made paper logs by rolling sheets together tightly.

It's also about $3.00 for a 25 lb bag of pellets ready to burn. Using sawdust for mushroom bedding would be easier and more profitable.
If earthworms can digest sawdust (they can digest newspaper), you could make a fantastic profit selling worm castings to gardeners. Local garden shop here gets $10 / pint, which takes my small herd about 2 days to produce.

The pellets aren't bound together all that tightly. You can crumble them into sawdust between your thumb and forefinger. This probably helps them ignite faster.
Ever seen how the Shuttle solid rocket motors are made? Big, long pipes filled with fuel, big hole down the center with an ignitor at the top -- that's what the cones on top are. Could you do the same with schedule 40 iron pipe and a tamper rod, maybe slightly cone shaped to generate sideways pressure and ease removing the tamper after pressing the sawdust?

No addition of any adhesives http://www.bogma.com/eng/index.htm klikk on Movie to see it in action
Mvh Roy