Using rustoleum as a wood base

Need to cover some old finished wood and have some left over rustoleum oil based primer. Is this recommendable for wood? Can I use a water based latex on top of the primer or must it also be oil based? Thanks for any help.

Yes you can.
I would think that through, and probably call the 800 number on the can. First, if it is from Rustoleum, make sure it is not one of their products specifically made for metal. They use different formulas for metal specific products and general primer.
I put latex over oil based primer such as Kilz, Zinser, Krylon, etc., all the time and prefer it to the latex primers for the most part. But never over the primer specifically made for metal. YMMV.
But why take a chance? Primer is cheap. You can buy a gallon can of oil base Zinser for something like $14 and a quart for $8. As much as some people hate to paint, I would just buy the primer I knew without doubt would work and be done with it.
Robert