using routing or cutting tools for insetting accoustic ceiling tile edges

You know the regular Armstrong, the ones that fit into the track rather than on top of it. I am now cutting the non-inset 2'x4' type to fit all my openings.. I have about 65 tiles total, average about 3'x2' in 4 rooms with not perfect, but simple boundaries. If I could rabbett or straight bit the edge, or use a TS is this possible? They are white, and I could spray the edge if I can make a deent profile. Is this too much hassles/impossible. I am thinking I COULD pencil along the panel as it sits on top like it was meant to stay, then tool it to the T-bar, minus a little for play

I pu this in a.b.c, but I think it applies here too

Reply to
bent

I'm thinking it'd be too much of a mess. Acoustic tile will cut very nicely with a utility knife and a straight-edge. If you really need it, I believe they make a special knife for rabbeting the edges when you want the tiles to protrude below the track.

In any case, a thin, sharp blade is going to work better for you than a power tool. Those things are more like cardboard than wood, and are likely to be full of things you shouldn't be breathing in as fine dust, to boot. If you need to cut curves, use a drywall keyhole saw or a coping saw.

Reply to
Prometheus

What about a fence on a flat surface with a blade protruding from the fence. It would stick out the depth of the cut and be above the table the distance from the edge to score the surface. this would score the face of the panels. then use another blade, possibly on the other side of the fence to slice off the marked portion from the first cut. Score all 4 edges then slice the waste off. 520 cuts in all, but it's quiet, and not too dusty. Bad ASCII art XXX flat surface FFFFF Fence

- scoring blade on the left of the fence _ slicing blade on the right of the blade Make the fence tall enough to support the panels and the surface wide enough to slide easily. Joe

F F_ F -F F XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I take it the scoring blade is a stationary razor or similar? If that's the case, it should work great, and be less work than a simple straightedge and utility knife. It's a nice solution, really- if I ever have to install one of those ceilings again, I think I'll try it out.

Reply to
Prometheus