Using pin nailer to trim out plywood edges

I recently purchased a 23 guage pin nailer to hold 1/4" strips of hardwood to edge plywood cabinets. I thought it would be a lot easier than bar clamps, and don't mind putting a dab of filler in after the glue sets up. However, I get the feeling that the pins do not hold well enough to apply pressure to get a tight joint.

Anybody else using this method with better success, or do I just dump the nailer?

Len

Reply to
l-lopez

I've also got a 23 ga pinner. It should work fine if the pins are long enough. My pinner goes up to 1-3/16", which is what I usually use. You can always add some blue tape to pull the strips tighter to the cabinet if you see the pins aren't pulling the edging in tight enough. The pinners are designed to be used for the application you seem so reluctant to use it for!!

Or you can just send your pinner to me...

Dave

Reply to
David

The edge-grain of plywood doesn't have the density to create any 'grab' for many types of nails. An 18ga 1-1/2 would be a start. Another suggestion is to use a combination of routerbits, which create a modified v-shaped channel in the plywood edge, and the 'male' part on the edge material fits in there nice a snug. THEN nail a few 23ga pins from the top of the ply into the edge....kinda makes the barclamps less of a bother, huh?

Reply to
Robatoy

Dump the pin nailer and use better clamps.... I use Gross-Stabil edge clamps for all edging, the advantage is that they can be used one-handed.

Here's the 3" version:

also make a 2" version and Bessey makes a replica, but I didn't see them on Amazon.

Mort

snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu wrote:

Reply to
Mort Stevens