Using Oak Plugs

I need to fasten a piece of oak by drilling a 3/8" hole, screwing it, and then cover using an oak face-grain plug. The plugs are just barely tight enough for the hole.
Can I soak the plugs in water for about an hour to swell them prior to using them?
Buck Turgidson wrote: > I need to fasten a piece of oak by drilling a 3/8" hole, screwing it, and > then cover using an oak face-grain plug. The plugs are just barely tight > enough for the hole. > > Can I soak the plugs in water for about an hour to swell them prior to using > them?
I wouldn't.
I'd probably use varnish as an adhesive when you install the plugs.
Lew

I wouldn't either. Even if they swelled enough, they'd just shrink back down once they dried. I'd get a Veritas snug-plug cutter (or ask a nice wRECker to use one of theirs) to cut some appropriate tapered plugs that will fit tightly, or drill your initial hole with a slightly undersized drill bit (if it's not too late). Good luck, Andy

soaking the plugs. Buy a tapered plug cutter.

He is also ending up with a noticeable ring around the plug. With a tight or tapered plug the ring almost disappears.

but I imagine he meant that they were not quite tight enough. Otherwise, what's the problem?

pop them in with a little glue.

Bad idea. If they are already tight enough, soaking them will swell them, making them too tight. to fit them in the hole, they will either have to be sanded or otherwise cut down, or the fibers will be crushed in forcing them into the hole, and when it dries out and shrinks back, it will be longer be tight enough in the hole.

"no"

huh? "It no will be longer" isn't any better.

Sorry. In fixed pitch, I was underlining the first "be".
"it will no longer be tight enough in the hole."

They will turn black!!!!
JR
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/THENORTHCOASTPT