Using mixed wood types...

I want to build furniture / cabinets, but the range of materials here is poor. The materials are very limited. Solid hardwoods just aren't available, nor are plywoods with a hardwood veneer finish. It's not possible to find matching wood types for both the panels and the frames. I wonder if 'mixing' wood types in making a cabinet would work ? What I have in mind is making panels using one type wood for the outer frame [ stiles and rails ?], and a second type for the enclosed panel. Either or both stained to limit, but not disguise, the contrast in colors and grain.
Maybe solid clear pine for the outer frame and the panels from birch, or from mahogany. The panels would be of either veneered MDF or something the locals call "aglomerado" - don't ask! I can't recall seeing cabinets made this way, but maybe someone else has, or maybe made cabinets using mixed wood types.
I sure appreciate any advice or opinions on the idea, and maybe someone can point me to cabinets with panels made from combinations of wood types.
Any and all responses much appreciated
John Hewitt Malaga Spain
A couple of coats of top quality latex should even out any differences:-)
Hey it was a joke. OK so it was a bad one. I've made several cabinets using a mixture of wood. Seen several where the stiles and rails contrasted with the panels. Works real well if the panel has an interesting grain and the stiles and rails are fairly nondescript.
D. Mo

Sounds like a tough place for a woodworker.
It also sounds like you've got some good ideas.
I notice that you said you had no hardwood veneer ply available but you stop short of saying no plywood at all. If you have any decent softwood ply available to you I don't see any reason why you can't make up your own hardwood veneer plywood using that.
Just a thought Good luck
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

I suggest going for contrast rather than trying to match. It is better to be way off on purpose than a little off because that is the best you can do.
I have a good friend in Seville. He's making some incredible stuff. You might want to look him up and see where he's getting his wood. Here's his website.
www.nicholaschandler.com
HTH

Thank you all for the replies and the info / help. Seems like mixed wood types will work. I'll email the guy in Seville, and ask for a supplier.
Thank you all for your time.
wrote:

John Hewitt Malaga Spain