Using Grain

Page 1 of 2
There is an article In the latest issue of FWW about "using the grain" in lumber. I have not read the entire article because it disturbed me. Most of the time when I buy my lumber I am most concerned with just getting pieces with minmal defects (sap wood and knots). If I can find the sticks need that pass my requirements for these defects I am happy. Finding pieces that meet grain rwquiremwnts that also pass my defect requirements? Fagettaboutit. I recently bought some cherry lumber (hardwood store) and I has difficulty finding pieces that had no sap on both faces. Enough with these "grain" articles already.
Just venting.

The article is called "Designing with Grain"

Fake Beacon probably speaks from experience, but that still doesn't negate the fact of his having strange taste topics... or likely in anything.
<snip of snot>
    Guess they have internet access at summer camp now.
    -- Andy Barss

Just think of it as one more thing that takes your projects to the 'next level'.
Reach enough next levels and your woodworking might reach a whole new plane.... (I just had to, you realize)

ouch

I'm sure it would if the lumber required was obtainable.

I'm sure it would if the lumber required was obtainable.
gw,
I read the whole article and don't really see where there's any bad advice/guidance in there.
To be sure, most people aren't buying their lumber in the boule, but that doesn't mean you can't apply the concepts presented to your project.
Sorry you don't have a better selection where you shop.
jc
I guess you could always work in basswood

At every yard I've been to (three), the overwelming objective is to pick through the sap and the knots until you find adequate lumber. Shopping for "grain" can not feasibly be entered into the equation. You get what you get from the piles of sap ridden cherry. Years ago maybe it wasn't as big a problem with old growth trees (?). That's not to say I can't make do with what I bring home. I just dont expect my decision making process to come down to which stick has the best grain. It's always, which stick has the least amount of sap and can I make it "work".
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:
At every yard I've been to (three), the overwelming objective is to pick through the sap and the knots until you find adequate lumber.
You need to find a somebody that is actually a real hardwood lumber supplier, not a make believe hardwood yard.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" < wrote

And pay the real hardwood prices as well.

Does this qualify as a "real hardwood yard"?
http://www.hardwoodstore.com/ (this is where I was yesturday that sparked this thread)
or this one: http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp (I use to go here. Lumber is roughly the same quality)
Where do you get your lumber Lew?
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

Good question that only you can answer.
Web sites can be funky, but looks good.

Depends.
There are some pretty good marine lumber yards here in SoCal.
Also several good plywood specialty yards that I use.
Lew
GarageWoodworks" wrote:

I wrote: ======================================> Depends.

================================= What I forgot to include is that they would never try to pass off sap wood if they ever expected to get another order.
Lew

Agreed. The problem isn't that decent wood doesn't exist. The problem is that most people don't want to spend the money to buy it. Can't say I blame them, because I'm usually in the same category. But, I know that if I'm prepared to shoulder the cost, I can find the sap free, knot free wood that I want.

I'm sure it would if the lumber required was obtainable.
Think out side the box. Almost any lumber can be made to be beautifully unique if you resaw it and book match the pieces. Almost 100% of the time any board can be made into a work of art. To get an idea of what any board would look like lay a small mirror down beside it at a 90 degree angle. You will see the book matched image.
"Leon" wrote

I always get in trouble when reading things literally. I got this immediate image of a peice of furniture. One half of it was done in wood and the other half....., well...., it was a mirror. I knew that wouldn't work.
Ok, I got it out of my system. I am reasonably certain that is not what Leon meant. I will try to stay out of trouble for the rest of the day.

There you go again. :-)
In Houston, Mason's Mill, Clarkes Hardwood, and Houston Hardwood comes to mind. I've never been to Texas Kiln, but their web site shows some pretty nice wood. M&G in Huntsville also comes to mind.

Add Hardwood Products, West Belt, south bound side, south of Hammerly.

I have been there, I would not make a special trip but worth a stop when going between Houston and austin. Not much variety but lots of nice Mesquite. I have to buy a piece each time I stop in to look around.

Certainly a place to go for a large purchase.

Alabama? please tell me yes.