Using Drum Sander to Sand Taper

I would be interested to know if any of you have tried sanding with a drum sander to produce a taper across the width of a board.
I have a Performax 22-44 and needed to produce a board approximately 36" x 6" with a thickness at one side of 1/2" up to 7/8". I made a shim of approx 1" x 3/8" and used two-sided tape to hold it onto the edge not requiring the sanding. I then sanded it with the other edge up.
Worked perfectly.
Any thoughts or comments?
Glen Duff
My only thought is that you are extremely proud of yourself! :)
David
Glen Duff wrote:

did that last week on a french door threshhold.
ran it through the thickness planer first, though. too much material to remove with the sander.