Using Drum Sander to Sand Taper

I would be interested to know if any of you have tried sanding with a drum sander to produce a taper across the width of a board.

I have a Performax 22-44 and needed to produce a board approximately 36" x 6" with a thickness at one side of 1/2" up to 7/8". I made a shim of approx 1" x 3/8" and used two-sided tape to hold it onto the edge not requiring the sanding. I then sanded it with the other edge up.

Worked perfectly.

Any thoughts or comments?

Glen Duff

Reply to
Glen Duff

My only thought is that you are extremely proud of yourself! :)

David

Glen Duff wrote:

Reply to
David

did that last week on a french door threshhold.

ran it through the thickness planer first, though. too much material to remove with the sander.

Reply to
bridger

replying to Glen Duff, Dave wrote: Glen - I am looking at doing something similar and had considered trying your technique. Thanks for posting and validating this idea as solid. I plan on repeating this several times, so I'm thinking of making a jig. Maybe some type of sled with an adjustable taper "bed" that I could secure the piece to. I'm thinking to clamp a guide strip to each side of my infeed table so the sled tracks without skewing as it moves into either my planer and drum sander.

Reply to
Dave
[about making a board with nonparallel faces]

Pull out your hollows and rounds. One plank rounded, under a second plank hollowed, and you have an adjustable slant board to put under the one being surfaced/thicknessed.

Reply to
whit3rd