Using an Align-a-rip 2424 fence as a 3612?

I just bought a used Craftsman tablesaw with a 24/24" fence and have already had to fudge a 27" cut. It would also fit my work area better if I moved the rails over to be 36/12".

Is there a sound reason not to do it? All I can think is that the rails aren't rigid enough to go that far without support. If that's it, would adding another wing help any, or is it vertical support that would be missing?

Thanks.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Wade Lippman asks:

Try it. It's reversible. I've got one, felt no current need to change over, but if I keep the saw when I move home, I may just for the hell of it (mainly from happiness at having space to MOVE around the damned thing without tripping over a couple lawnmowers and a propane heater after banging an elbow on a SCMS). You will lose the measurement capability, but I think you can correct that, after you make sure it works otherwise, with a stick-on tape measure. Just move em'. Make some wide cuts. If the flex is too much, add a brace or another wing. Actually, I'd make a wing out of MDF or melamine coated whatever, with a hardwood frame. Then if it does need vertical support, all you need to do is add a couple legs. Another cast iron wing might overbalance the saw to that side.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self