Using a template bit to cut 3/4" plywood

If you have a flush-cut piloted or bearing straight bit and a pretty hefty router, you can cut 3/4" birch plywood using a template all day without putting too much stress on the router, can't you? Of course the diameter of the bit is a factor, I believe you can get a 7/8" or 1" X 1/4" plunge bit with a solid pilot on the end. Isn't that the type of bit used for the same application in CNC routing? I just am wondering if this is too much abuse for a 2 or 3 hp router...

Reply to
BUB 209

Baltic Birch or Birch veneer plywood. The Baltic Birch is all birch wood and tougher to cut. All day long, maybe, If you are not cutting the full width of the bit. Better to use the flush cut bit and template to clean up the edge after you have cut close with a saw first. I would suggest not with a 2hp router for all day long.

Reply to
Leon

Define "pretty hefty router".

IMHO, anything other than a P-C 7518 is a make believe router for this application.

You will simplify your life greatly by proud cutting about 1/8" with a saw and then clean up with a router.

13 ply, 3/4" Birch is pretty stuff stuff.

Why make life difficult?

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep, it's "pretty stuff stuff" alright....lol.

Reply to
David P

Duh cut it out first. Thanks everybody. And its just Menard's birch ply

Reply to
BUB 209