Using a router speed contoller on a lathe

I have an old Craftsman mono-tube lathe. Can I use a router speed controller to add varible speed to it? It has a 1/2 horse motor, I'm not sure if its a universal or some other type. Has anyone tried this? I don't want to damage the motor.
Thanks,
Renowood

That would be an induction motor, and, no, I don't think that's going to work.
But really... that's not exactly a high-end lathe, you know. Is there some reason that the four speeds it already has is not enough for you?
--
Regards,
On Feb 26, 9:26 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

It might mean less belt changing. I want to upgrade and was looking at the VS jet mini but that would be more of a sideways step and not an upgrade. This mod would get me a little more versitility.
Renowood

Almost with out exception a universal motor is noisy when compared to the induction type motor. The typical universal motor speed control does not work on an induction motor.
snipped-for-privacy@sssimsd.com says...

Don't think you'll damage the motor, but you may blow your speed control to kingdom come if it's the wrong type. As I found out when I used a speed control for drills on an induction motor by mistake: Poof!
-P.

I DAGS using different terms and found that it will not work. So thanks for all the help.
Renowood