Using a miter saw while wearing gloves

Page 1 of 2
http://www.lowes.com/pl_Cordless+Drills_4294857547_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1
Hover your mouse over "Ideas & How-tos".
Lowe's online hardware store shows a guy using a miter saw while wearing gloves.
Wouldn't it be better to have a cut finger than to have your hand pulled into the blade?

Not that the gloves would prevent getting nicked, anyway.
Lloyd
https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id 0651750
At approximately 11:30 a.m. on July 8, 2010, Employee #1 was operating a CTD model M25R chop saw (powered miter box type saw) and cutting aluminum I beams. She was wearing gloves when the saw blade caught the gloves and pulled her fingers into the blade. The blade amputated her left thumb, and index, middle and ring finger at the distal interphalangeal joint. Additionally, the company had rules about not wearing gloves while operating the chop saw. After the accident, she was transported to a medical center where she received treatment and was hospitalized.
On 12/1/2014 1:28 PM, John Doe wrote:

I suspect what really happened is that the employee jumped when the glove hit the blade and she threw her hand into the blade one way or another.
On 12/1/2014 1:21 PM, John Doe wrote:

No, this has been discussed time and again. I ran an experiment many years ago by pushing a glove into a spinning saw blade.
First off wood is many times easier to cut than denim, cloth, and leather. The blade cuts the glove instantly and in my experiment left a kerf in the glove.
You are going to need something like a lathe or drill press to grab and pull loose clothing in.
John Doe prodded the keyboard

0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

A lot of industrial workers are required to wear protective gloves nowadays ! These are usually the anti cut through types that have a fine chain mail type mesh incorporated into the fabric. I have a pair, not that I use them for protection from a rotating saw blade, but they do protect you from cuts from knives, chisels and screwdriver slips. They are great for handling glass where you can get very serious damage from the razor sharp edges though.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
On 12/1/14, 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:

What about this...
http://youtu.be/INkwB7P5NpM?t=1m13s

http://youtu.be/INkwB7P5NpM?t=1m13s

--

-MIKE-

On 12/1/2014 2:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

by the slot in the insert the glove went no farther than what would fit in the slot. If an arm/hand were attached the glove probably would not have fit in the slot. By what many think the globe would have disappeared but since the blade cuts cloth the glove stopped ones slight resistance was met.
Lots of things "have been discussed time and time again". Including things that have absolutely nothing to do with craftsmanship. Every troll has an opinion, but the vast majority of authority and experience with the subject say otherwise....
--
Leon <lcb11211 swbelldotnet> wrote in news:h7mdnXhZD-yeUuHJnZ2dnUVZ5o6dnZ2d giganews.com:

Horse puckey! You can't imagine all the morbid accidents that have occurred on table saws by gathering-in loose cuffs on shop coats and/or long-sleeve shirts.
If the fabric is loose, it will be grabbed rather than cut.
As you said, wood is "easier to cut than ...(fabric)". (and it really is)
Lloyd

Thank you for pointing out my mistake of saying wood is easier to cut than fabric.
The fact is I have had put the theory to test and any resistance to hold the glove keeps it from being pulled in and the fabric is simply cut. In about 1979 I was helping a friend cut fire wood with a chain saw. My finger still has the 1" scar wherw the bar hit my middle gloved finger. There was a slice in the glove and in my finger but the glove did not follow the chain around nor pull my hand in.
I know all about TS accidents, I have half a thumb as a result and I was not wearing a glove. It is the tools that don't readily cut that grab and pull you in. If you hand is cut while wearing gloves the fact is your hand was going to be cut anyway glove or no glove.
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote in

gloves save my fingers more than once on my TS.
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

If your hand is so close to the blade that the blade can grab the glove, your hand is too damn close to the blade. Glove or no glove, it's too damn close.
On 12/1/2014 6:04 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Absolutely true. The fact that any glove, but especially a (typical) poorly-fitting one, makes your hand larger than you think it is, makes it even more dangerous. I've done more than my share of stupid or risky things around tools and machinery, but wearing gloves isn't one of them. That's what calluses are for.
JP
--
This is my signature. Really. I'm not kidding. Stop reading now.

On 12/2/2014 6:16 AM, John Paquay wrote:

that they could/do hit the blade will make any one jump and at least 50% of the time their hand will go into the blade with or with out a glove.
I firmly believe, have personally witnessed, and tested the glove being pulled in and have never seen it happen, especially when the glove is attached to something like a hand.
I'm not saying it is OK to use a glove around power tools for the same reason one should not wear long sleeves or a tie when operating a lathe or drill press. Those machines will typically not cut the material or glove and will pull you in.

Let's see... I said, "if the fabric is loose", then you said "it might depend on... fit". Well, yeah. But I mentioned that, no?
Lloyd

Does not matter if loose. I repeat, I pushed an empty glove into the spinning blade of my TS and the glove was not grabbed or snagged, it simply cut and the blade left a kerf slot in the glove.

Ayup. That's what they make 'pushers' for. Anyone who doesn't use them faithfully for close work is just asking for an accident.
Lloyd

People make mistakes. The question is whether the mistake is compounded.
Awareness of and an unflagging practice of "Safety" in the shop is unarguably the single most valuable component of a lasting enjoyment of same. However, too often in the current world of print and bits and bytes, playing the "safety" card has become a mixture of the tone of political correctness, a whiff of Wikipedia wisdom, and a nagging fear of being held accountable, presented in toto with a smug assertiveness that presupposes the purveyor's superior ken, but, in actuality is little more than ignorance of underlying issues, swept under the shop mat.
Best practice for wRec"ers, don't reply to crossposting "John Doe" trolls.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net