Using a canister vac instead of a shopvac?

I am now using a Hoover GUV with a separator. It works fine for a while. The only stuff that gets by the separator is the fine dust, and that clogs the filter pretty fast.
I see a 12a househole cyclone vacuum on ebay. I am thinking (hoping) that the fine dust would settle out in the cyclone, so I will have a good system forever. Anyone try this?

My experience with cyclones is that the heavier stuff drops down into the pre-cannister, so the only thing that gets to the vac IS the finer dust. You're gonna need more filtering, I'm thinkin.

filters of any kind. How do they do that?
Toller wrote:

Actually, the Dyson (at least some models) does have a final-stage hepa-filter. It'd be interesting to see how it does with drywall dust.
I suspect the current best bet for fine dust would be a shop-vac sized cyclone (either the Oneida or the Clearvue) then a shopvac with a Cleanstream (water-washable, HEPA) filter.
I've had a Cleanstream on my Ridgid shop-vac for a couple years now, and really like it. It clogs up with lots of drywall dust but the exhaust air stays clean.
Chris

I'll second that - I have a HEPA (Cleanstream IIRC) on my Ridgid shopvac also, and it filters VERY well. A lot of fine dust builds up directly on the filter, and I usually just shake it out inside a garbage bag when I start noticing a suction reduction. (I made a rhyme...) Once in a while I rinse it under the tap and kind of unfold each pleat to let it really clean up. Re. the Oneida vs. Clearvue mini cyclones, have you taken a close look at either one? Do you think they're much different? Thanks, Andy
Andy wrote:

The Clearvue uses 2.5" ports in and out. The Oneida has a 1.5" intake port and a 2" output port. If you've already got a shopvac that uses 2.5" hoses (Ridgid, Craftsman, Shop-vac, etc.), then the Clearvue is more convenient as you can use all your accessories.
The Oneida looks more "professional", and the DIY version of the Oneida is actually cheaper than the Clearvue.
I have no idea how they compare with respect to separation performance.
Chris