Uses of woodchips/sawdust

Much like yourselves, I have and generate a large quantity of sawdust and woodchips.

I'd like to get people's imaginitive ideas of what they do with their dust. It seems like a waste to burn it/throw it away/etc.

So:

How can sawdust or chips be used?

Reply to
heyscott

At my house:

- Mulch in the garden.

- Bedding for my son's guinea pig.

Doug Miller

It goes on the mulch pile or sometimes the neighbors want it for their animals.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Walkways, mulch, compost, etc. Rotting sawdust/chips will draw lots of nitrogen, so you may need to add 34-0-0 to the sawdust and allow it to "cook" for a couple months before using it as mulch.

Reply to
Phisherman

under Hints and Tips

It makes wonderful snake nesting material in sufficient quantities, as evidenced by the heap beside my garden. Lathe shavings and other sorts with sufficient air can be rolled loosely in newsprint to make fire-starter doobies.

Reply to
George

If it is all good hardwoods (no exotics) you can use it for smoking food. Butcher supply houses sell 50 pound bags of hickory sawdust that is used for smoke curing hams, bacon sausages. Maple, cherry, oak all work well,

If you use it on a grill, make a foil pouch so it does not burn up too fast. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Burning it's not a waste, if you're not just burning it to get rid of it. Use it for kindling in the fireplace, or at the campsite.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

I've seen a setup where the chips were fed into a unit that compressed them into logs which could then be burned.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

On 19 Aug 2004 07:23:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

For all the suggstions given, _always_ separate chipboard, plywood, masonite from the other. Nasty.

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

Assuming you have planer & jointer chips and not just powdery dust, you can use handfuls of them as a substitute for steel wool or synthetic pads when stripping paint remover from non-flat surfaces.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I have seen Nahm use sawdust mixed with glue to make a matching filler. Glenn

MODEL STEAM LAUNCH:

MODEL AIRPLANES:
BIRD PHOTOS:
MADE FROM EXOTIC WOODS:

Glenn or Carolyn ELLIOTT

I got complaints from the manager of our mobile home park. the neighbors did not like purple and red and yellow and so forth colored mulch (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Steve Knight wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Shavings from the walnut I milled last summer sure kept the weeds down behind the shed. I have no idea what padauk might do for the local soil chemistry. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:55:44 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

They're sooooo closed-minded, aren't they, Steve? (BTW, congrats on the flatter irons this time.)

Someone would surely call the EPA about the pink grass in the area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Web Design for YOUR Business!

Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We're in California. Near Berkeley. There's all kinds of strange grass in the area. ;-)

More importantly though, in my case, is what would it do to my wife's roses? That's where things get serious.

Reply to
patriarch

Keep this in mind...it's a fire hazard! You're talking nickels and dimes here. Get rid of it. We produce mountains off the sawmill and I could sell it but no one wants it until they need to use it. I give it away to any farmer that pulls in the yard. I even load it for free. We've had one fire and that's enough. Losses were a sawmill, tool trailer, and logs. Luckily, the wind was going right between the house and horse barn filled with hay and nothing else caught. Took 5 fire departments to put it out and we stayed on it for two days putting out spot fires. The sourse was spontaneous cumbustion and there were blue flames seeping out of the pile dancing all over. Eeriest thing I could ever imagine. I realize we're not talking about quite the same quantity but the results are the same. No one else has mentioned this so I thought I should. Jana

Reply to
Jana

On 19 Aug 2004 07:23:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Hey Scott! Where are you?