Uses of woodchips/sawdust

Much like yourselves, I have and generate a large quantity of sawdust and woodchips.
I'd like to get people's imaginitive ideas of what they do with their dust. It seems like a waste to burn it/throw it away/etc.
So:
How can sawdust or chips be used?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) wrote:

At my house: - Mulch in the garden. - Bedding for my son's guinea pig.
It goes on the mulch pile or sometimes the neighbors want it for their animals.
Dave

I've seen a setup where the chips were fed into a unit that compressed them into logs which could then be burned.
JP
On 19 Aug 2004 07:23:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) wrote:

Walkways, mulch, compost, etc. Rotting sawdust/chips will draw lots of nitrogen, so you may need to add 34-0-0 to the sawdust and allow it to "cook" for a couple months before using it as mulch.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn208.pdf
or
http://www.amgron.clara.net/ under Hints and Tips
It makes wonderful snake nesting material in sufficient quantities, as evidenced by the heap beside my garden. Lathe shavings and other sorts with sufficient air can be rolled loosely in newsprint to make fire-starter doobies.

If it is all good hardwoods (no exotics) you can use it for smoking food. Butcher supply houses sell 50 pound bags of hickory sawdust that is used for smoke curing hams, bacon sausages. Maple, cherry, oak all work well,
If you use it on a grill, make a foil pouch so it does not burn up too fast. Ed
Burning it's not a waste, if you're not just burning it to get rid of it. Use it for kindling in the fireplace, or at the campsite.
Kevin
--
=====
"heyscott" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On 19 Aug 2004 07:23:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
For all the suggstions given, _always_ separate chipboard, plywood, masonite from the other. Nasty.

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
<<Much like yourselves, I have and generate a large quantity of sawdust and woodchips.
I'd like to get people's imaginitive ideas of what they do with their dust. It seems like a waste to burn it/throw it away/etc.>>
Assuming you have planer & jointer chips and not just powdery dust, you can use handfuls of them as a substitute for steel wool or synthetic pads when stripping paint remover from non-flat surfaces.
Lee

I have seen Nahm use sawdust mixed with glue to make a matching filler. Glenn
MODEL STEAM LAUNCH: http://community.webtv.net/whadaurmeddleme/PatriciaModelSteam
R/C MODEL AIRPLANES: http://community.webtv.net/whadaurmeddleme/GLENNELLIOTT
BACKYARD BIRD PHOTOS: http://community.webtv.net/whadaurmeddleme/GLENNELLIOTTBird
NAMES MADE FROM EXOTIC WOODS: http://community.webtv.net/whadaurmeddleme/GLENNELLIOTTNames
I got complaints from the manager of our mobile home park. the neighbors did not like purple and red and yellow and so forth colored mulch (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Shavings from the walnut I milled last summer sure kept the weeds down behind the shed. I have no idea what padauk might do for the local soil chemistry. ;-)
Patriarch
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:55:44 GMT, patriarch

They're sooooo closed-minded, aren't they, Steve? (BTW, congrats on the flatter irons this time.)

Someone would surely call the EPA about the pink grass in the area.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ---- http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business! --------------------------------------------------------------------
<snip>

We're in California. Near Berkeley. There's all kinds of strange grass in the area. ;-)
More importantly though, in my case, is what would it do to my wife's roses? That's where things get serious.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) wrote in message

Keep this in mind...it's a fire hazard! You're talking nickels and dimes here. Get rid of it. We produce mountains off the sawmill and I could sell it but no one wants it until they need to use it. I give it away to any farmer that pulls in the yard. I even load it for free. We've had one fire and that's enough. Losses were a sawmill, tool trailer, and logs. Luckily, the wind was going right between the house and horse barn filled with hay and nothing else caught. Took 5 fire departments to put it out and we stayed on it for two days putting out spot fires. The sourse was spontaneous cumbustion and there were blue flames seeping out of the pile dancing all over. Eeriest thing I could ever imagine. I realize we're not talking about quite the same quantity but the results are the same. No one else has mentioned this so I thought I should. Jana
On 19 Aug 2004 07:23:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (heyscott) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Hey Scott! Where are you?