Uses of the steel square

Today I received a late Christmas present which had been ordered from Canada by my daughter's boyfriend. The present is TWO books, Volume 1 and 2 on the "Steel Square and it's Uses". The books are copyrighted 1907. The first is 246 pages and the second is 243 pages. Almost 500 pages on the simple steel square.

In case you are interested, the author was William Radford, editor-in-chief of the "American Carpenter and Builder".

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I live in Canada. Any chance you could send it back? A long time back I had one called "The Carpenter's Square." A small book ,but awesome, in the end detailing how to build a spiral staircase.

Tell your daughter to keep the boyfriend.

Reply to
Guess who

Cool set, I have the same set from 1904 with house plans in the back. It's a good read and the illustrations are great. Everybody loves a good book with pictures.

Modern times dictate that you must use a construction calculator and a speed square. I know several local contractors who don't know how to use a steel square. I have several other books on the steel square and several examples of fine steel squares.

Tom in KY, if you have a nice steel square that you are not using, or a book that you don't really want to read, e-mail me and I'll give you an address where you can dispose of that particular piece of clutter. As always, glad to be of service.

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

Not sure of the title but Lee Valley offers one or two books on the use of the framing square....I believe they are reprints of older publications. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Cool!

Some of us must be content with the Web version of "Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them."

Dhakala

I've got one called "ABC of the Steel Square and its Uses" by Fred Hodgson. Copyright 1908.

From the preface:

"Since writing up my first essay on the Steel Square in 1868 ..."

"... my larger works on the subject ... some 30 years ago ..." (His larger works were 600 pages in two volumes.)

And talking of other books on the subject:

"... nearly all these books and papers contain have been built upon my foundations ... without a word of credit being given to the original writer."

Maybe the author of your volumes was one of the plagarizers (sp?) that Fred was complaining about :-)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The same set that I have

There were other books and papers written with the same illustrations and different authors listed. Who is the listed publisher on the ABC's?

The two volume set was written by Fred T. Hodgsen. The publisher and editor-in-chief was Radford.

Tom in KY, With credit going to The Radford Architectural Co. Riverside Il. Chicago and New York. AND to the author Fred T. Hodgsen, listed directly on the covers of my two volume set.

Reply to
Squarei4dtoolguy

Frederick R Drake & Co Chicago

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The original poster said of his set:

... the author was William Radford, editor-in-chief of the "American Carpenter and Builder"

You say Radford was the publisher of your set. Busy little bee wasn't he?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
Dick Snyder

The first page of my bookd says this about Radford:

"EDITED UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF WILLAM A. RADFORD Editor in Chief ot the 'American Carpenter and Builder,' President of 'The Radford Architectural Co.,' and the best authority in the country of all things pertaining to the building trade"

Certainly not a shy guy was he? If you google him you will see his name listed on various home building books.

Reply to
Dick Snyder