uses for quartersawn sycamore

I am likely going to get some of it (I have a 24" tree that this guy wants to cut, saw, and share the lumber with me), and I don't have any good ideas for how to use it. What kinds of things have people done with it?

http://www.milmac.com/ww-pics/furniture/TriangleEndTablesInSycamore.BMP
I wouldn't mind getting some of that wood, if you have any to spare. Are you anywhere near Indianapolis?

His email is out of Buffalo NY. do you consider that close? <grin>
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

http://www.milmac.com/ww-pics/furniture/KensBirthdayClock.JPG
are you supposed to be typing so soon?
dave
Doug Miller wrote:

aargh! I did it again! I forgot Doug is pouting and refuses to take my calls...
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Depends on who you ask. The recovery-room nurse said to be as inactive as possible, but the surgeon said that whatever didn't hurt was OK. Typing doesn't hurt. The pain medicine makes me a bit drowsy, so I think that going into the shop would probably hurt a *lot* more in the long run...

boxes:
http://www.robswoodworking.com/images/box_2.jpg
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"donald girod" < snipped-for-privacy@canisius.edu> wrote in message

I like it as an accent wood. The last time I used it was when I was looking for some contrast on a flytying workstation I made:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg
I've also used it for intarsia. In particular, I had some that looked just perfect as a cobblestone street in a street scene I was doing.
Chuck Vance
Might make a neat bowl. Cheers. Joe

That would expose a lot of end grain, though, and sycamore end grain does a pretty good imitation of a sponge -- it takes a *lot* of finish to seal it.

I thought it was commonly used for breadboards, because it is resistant to warping, and in other places where maple was used. I don't think it is as hard as maple though.
Regards, Allen

fair amount harder than sycamore. It sure looks nice, though.
My experience with Sycamore is that it does warp. It is used to fake Walnut with stain. I like it for accent in segment turnings.
Walt Conner
. >>What kinds of things have people done with it?

Flatsawn, it warps in nineteen directions. Quartersawn, it's stable.
But it can't be stained to fake walnut, at least not to anyone who knows what walnut looks like. Flatsawn or quartered, the grain of sycamore does not even remotely resemble that of walnut.

Sycamore is very warp prone, especially if flatsawn. In fact, the sawyer I use won't bother putting any sycamore in the kiln that isn't quartersawn since it's pretty much guaranteed to turn into a pretzel.
Some things I've done in sycamore:
Blanket chest:
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/syc_blanket_chest1.jpg
Display cabinet:
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/sycamore_diplaycab.jpg
Cabinet:
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Picts/WW/sycamore_cab.jpg
Small clock:
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Picts/WW/sycamore_clock.jpg
Tables:
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Picts/WW/nested_tables.jpg
--
Scott Post snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost /

snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com (Scott Post) wrote in

I'm constantly amazed at how beautiful "fine" furniture can be. Damn, that's some nice looking wood and work.
--
remove nospam to use email

Casey Stamper